Hyundai

Hyundai Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Hyundai

I have a 2003 Hyundai Accent and we just now changed out the…

Customer Question
Hi there, I have...

Hi there, I have a 2003 Hyundai Accent and we just now changed out the windshield wiper pump. Now, running the car, we've found that in idle its running too fast. During the pump change-out we noticed an orange wire that had no power. So our first question is, what is this orange wire that was connected to the pump? Secondly, could us cutting that wire have caused this idling issue?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Its not a power loss...the throttle is actually go too fast. And its consistent in neutral, it changes as you change into park, drive, etc.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Accent yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm with my dad who was a mechanic. He ran the OBD2 diagnostic tool and got the reading P0121. Which is why we were thinking that the orange wire I mentioned before may have somehow been the cause

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

My dad's been doing some more testing and I guess as you give it more gas the throttle keeps going up and stays there even if you remove the gas. He's thinking that its like something is holding/binding the throttle.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Hyundai
11/13/2017
Hyundai Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 3 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS, I will never offer nor ask you to pay more for a call, calls and memberships are pushed by the website..
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box in the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

I will need to know where this orange wire you found goes?

What is the idle speed in park at operating temp?

we don't know where the orange wire goes. It was linked into the washer pump connector, however when we installed the new generic pump we had to remove the connector (thus cutting the orange wire) and there is no way of us finding where the other end of that orange wire goes.The operating temp is 2000 rpm and it is against the throttle stop.
Sorry the idle speed at operating temp is 2000 rpm.

This orange wire does it look like something stock OEM or something someone added?

Was the orange wire spliced into another wire, if so what color?

If you reconnect it to wherever you cut it from, does that affect the idle?

Do you have electronic or cable driven throttle? If cable, if you unplug the IAC valve does the idle come down?

I'm sorry to have taken up your time, but at this point, rather than trying to troubleshoot and figure this out ourselves, we are just taking it to an auto shop so he can look into it more closely. Thank you for all your time.

Sorry you paid the website for nothing. If you do find you need more help with something, please do let me know so I can then get you an answer so you can credit me for helping.

George H.
George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician