Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

This began yesterday. My car is having difficulty starting…

Customer Question
Hi, this began yesterday...

Hi, this began yesterday. My car is having difficulty starting when I push the button on my 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The last time I tried, it wouldn't start.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

I took it by Autozone and they checked the battery, starter, and alternator. Said all was fine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sonata yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven't done anything but try pushing the button. I read a post to try putting it in reverse or neutral to crank, saw something about the Parking light needing to be blue before it would start. Mine is blue and the other didn't work at all.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I changed the battery in the remote key fob last week and it works the doors well,

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Hyundai
11/12/2017
Hyundai Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 8 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS, I will never offer nor ask you to pay more for a call, calls and memberships are pushed by the website..
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box in the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Can you go into more detail on difficult?

Are you saying it cranks but will not start or it cranks slow or will not crank?

The car finally cranked after pushing the start button several times, more like 14 times, on/off, while pressing the brake (on to start and again to turn the engine off). The last time I tried, it didn't make any noise but an airish sound. I just tried it again and it is doing the same thing. I pressed the brake and pushed the button and nothing but air. I've read a lot of complaints about the 2011 Sonata. I hope that I don't have a bad apple.

When it will not crank if you move the shifter in park will it then start?

When it will not crank can you verify the brake lights work?

Do you get the same issue with both fobs in the vehicle?

I only have one working key fob. I'm alone and will have to get someone to check the brake lights for me. Shifting from park didn't help when I tried it earlier but can try it again.

Do not shift from park, just move the shifter around in park.

Use a stick on the seat and pedal to apply the brakes while alone.

Hello Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris