Hyundai

Hyundai Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Hyundai

The timing belt on my 2005 Hyundai sonata broke while I was…

Customer Question
The timing belt on...

The timing belt on my 2005 Hyundai sonata broke while I was driving on the highway. Is it worth getting the belt put back on or has too much damage been done in the engine?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the timing belt? Have you ever had to change it before?

I bought it off a lot and he didn't say. It was probably the original to the car. The car has 175,000 miles on it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sonata yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have it at a mechanic to work on. I need to decide if I should pay the roughly $500 dollars to have it put on and find out that the engine is trashed.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not necessarily

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Hyundai
11/10/2017
Hyundai Mechanic: Kevin, Auto Mechanic replied 3 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Auto Mechanic

Hi im kevin this engine is listed as an interference engine ,meaning that in the event of timing belt failure its highly likely that damage will occurr in almost all cases

Please remember to rate my service and let me know if you need anything else at all

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Auto Mechanic