Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2011 Sonata, trunk won't open with the button or the key. In…

Customer Question
2011 Sonata, trunk won't...

2011 Sonata, trunk won't open with the button or the key. In fact, the key won't even go into the lock.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tried silicone spray or WD-40?

Yes.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sonata yourself? What have you tried so far?

WD-40, calling a dealer, checking CarFax to see if there was a rear-end collision (none).

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that's it, thanks.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Hyundai
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/9/2017
Hyundai Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 8 months ago
Andrew Martin

If the key actually physically will not go into the lock, I'd recommend replacing the lock cylinder. It can be coded to match the key.

Judging by all the comments I've seen online this seems to be a not-uncommon thing. Seems to be an awful lot of Sonatas having to have new lock cylinders installed. Thanks anyway.
Hyundai Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 8 months ago

Yeah, see it all the time.