Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2016 Sonata plug-in hybrid: the charging status light on top…

2016 Sonata plug-in hybrid...

2016 Sonata plug-in hybrid: the charging status light on top of the dash started flashing red as the car was going over a mountain pass.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

Haven't checked any of that. The car is still en route

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sonata yourself? What have you tried so far?

Haven't tried anything, my wife is going to take it to the dealer today. Just wondering if she's going to get stranded on the way, or if continuing to drive it will cause damage.

11/7/2017
Andrew Martin

Hello, it definitely is something you want to get checked out as soon as possible. However, she should not get stranded. Even if the hybrid system stops charging, she should still be able to drive on the engine alone. I would however not be a terrible idea to get it towed to be safe.

What are the potential causes?

Could be a faulty generator, or it could be a transmission issue. Hard to say without doing some diagnosis.

If my answer has helped you, please help me by rating 3 stars or higher, or accepting my answer. This does not cost you any more, it just allows me to be credited for my work. You can always ask follow up questions after rating or accepting. Thank you.

Andrew Martin