Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

When I turn the key in my 2011 sonata, sometimes the car…

Customer Question
Hi, When I turn...

Hi, When I turn the key in my 2011 sonata, sometimes the car won't start until I shift lever. I assume there is some kind of interface switch to ensure the car is in park before it starts. Do you know what this is called and how hard is it to replace?

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

No, can't turn the wheel, key is fine

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sonata yourself? What have you tried so far?

Haven't tried anything yet. don't want to pull things apart without know what is required and what parts I need. I'm concerned that sooner or later car won't start at all

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Hyundai
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/25/2017
Hyundai Mechanic: Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER replied 9 months ago
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER

Hi, my name is ***** ***** when it wont start, you bump the shifter and it starts?