Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2005 Hyundai Santa fe 2.7 engine. Stalls when idling. Runs…

Customer Question
2005 Hyundai Santa fe 2.7...
2005 Hyundai Santa fe 2.7 engine. Stalls when idling. Runs between 10 minutes and up to 50 minutes. Starts right backup again with no problem. When driving runs fine. Stop and it will more then likely stall. Replaced Idle air control valve and throttle position sensor twice. Cleaned throttle body.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Hyundai
10/4/2017
Hyundai Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are quite a few things that can cause the engine to die and it will require some testing to determine exactly what is going on. If it dies abruptly then you're most likely losing spark for whatever reason. A failing crank sensor would be one of the most common causes of lost spark.

The first step in diagnosing the problem is to use a scan tool or code reader to see if any fault codes have set. Have you checked for codes?

I told you wrong. The throttle Position sensor was never replaced. It was the Crankshaft position sensor that was replaced twice.
We have a Snap-on scope and was monitoring the Crankshaft position sensor and the waveform seems solid. It did throw a Crankshaft position sensor code once and that is why it was replaced twice. Thought we might have gotten a bad part. Does this car have a Oil Control Valve? I found a TSB about it and could cause issues.

You were watching the crank sensor on a labscope at the time it died?

we were watching the waveform until it died. the engine cuts off abruptly. starts up right away, with very little cranking. would a crankshaft sensor only act up on idle.

Is there any other information that was omitted from the first post?

No, has us stumped.
What is fuel pressure when it dies?
Don't know. Will have to put a gauge on it and check.

Ok.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician