Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I just drove it and then parked it. Turned motor off and all…

Customer Question
I just drove it...

I just drove it and then parked it. Turned motor off and all lights in dash started flashing and it said KEY NOT DETECTED when I tried to re-start

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2014 Hyundai Sonata

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sonata yourself? What have you tried so far?

2013, sorry

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have not tried anything yet, I am at work

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Hyundai
I did sit and listen to the radio for a little while before exiting the car. Could the battery be dead? I just bought the car in June 2017.
10/2/2017
Hyundai Mechanic: Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician replied 10 months ago
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician

Good afternoon, my name is ***** ***** I am a master certified technician, I would be happy to assist you with this.

The Hyundai computer system utilizes a smart key/smart security system that features an engine immobilzer.

If the key has had an internal failure or the battery died then it will not be recognized by the engine's computer and it will inhibit starting because it thinks there was a theft attempt.

If the vehicle is a 2014 it should still be covered by your manufacturer's warranty. I would advise calling your local dealership and inquire about key replacement/programming to get this issue taken care of.

Does that help answer your question?

My car is a 2013
Answer not very much help at all. That is common sense
Well unfortunately I cannot hook a scan tool up to your car through the computer. I will opt out and you can allow another expert to answer this for you
I am not satisfied with the answer and wish to terminate this service.