Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The brake lights work fine, on and off, when the car is off.

Customer Question
The brake lights work...

The brake lights work fine, on and off, when the car is off. they are on all the time when the car is running.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?

Changed by hyundai a year ago while changing brake lines. i will go check the level.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Hyundai?

2011 sonata

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sonata yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, myself. kind of the same problem last year. installed a new oem brake switch, and a aftermarket tps.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Hyundai
10/1/2017
Hyundai Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

what happens when they are on and you hit the turn signal for each side?

Turn signals work fine. No cruise.. traction simble is lit up.
you still there?

ok so have you checked the stop fuses yet and do you have a voltmeter

the thing is, the brake switch and lights work fine when the car is off.

something is screwy in that switch, I would check it out,

oem new one year ago.

I meant actually test it out there are 2 switches in it I can send you the breakdown that shows the switches in the resting position, more than likely thats your problem

sure i would like to see the breakdown. i can test it tomorrow
It turned out that there is a slightly melted tail light socket. it was back feeding into the brake light system. so you didnt really help me at all.

well we didnt do any diagnostics yet so that would be hard to pinpoint the issue with out actually doing anything

but im glad you found it,