Hyundai

Hyundai Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Hyundai

2002 Hyundai Sonata will crank but won't turn over. The

2002 Hyundai Sonata will...

2002 Hyundai Sonata will crank but won't turn over

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?

The brake won't let me depress it to try to start it in neutral

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sonata yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven't tried much. I went out to try to start in neutral but brake will nit depress to allow me to try

9/30/2017
Mike V.
Mike V., Hyundai Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

How many miles on the car please?

135,000
My phone is discharged

No call is needed. Please give me just a moment to type out my reply.

Thank you.

Ok

Since the engine will crank and not start there are several possible issues.

First you need to check for fuel and spark. A quick method for doing this is spraying starting fluid directly into the throttle and cranking the engine. If there is spark it will start for a few seconds. If it runs for a few seconds, then it's likely a fuel pump problem. If not, then we are looking at a larger issue. Possibly a cam or crank sensor or the timing belt. Sometimes a quick check for a bad belt is to open the oil fill and have someone crank the engine. You should be able to look in there and see the cams turning. If they aren't turning then you know the belt is broken. A code reader could also help if the problem is with the crank sensor or cam sensor there will be codes stored.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

Mike V.
Mike V., Hyundai Technician
Thank you for your help
We will go from there

You are very welcome and thank you for the rating!

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Hyundai Technician