Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

We have a 2012 Elantra that has had a noise or rattle

Customer Question
We have a 2012...

We have a 2012 Elantra that has had a noise or rattle underneath car. WE have searched for problem in vain for several years, actually almost since we purchased it new. Even had it inspected at a Hyundai dealership with no results. Have recently talked to a person that has same 2012 Elantra. She said noise is coming from the catalytic convertor. A friend of hers who is a mechanic at a Kia dealer fixed it for.

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

We think it is now coming from catalytic convertor. Have run across a couple other owners who are experiencing same problem. This has been going on since second year we owned car.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Elantra yourself? What have you tried so far?

We will probably have someone else do it. How done nothing so far. Just discovered info last week as to problem

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Hyundai
9/27/2017
Hyundai Mechanic: George H., Hyundai Technician replied 8 months ago
George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician

Hello I will help,

Does it sound like a tinny rattle that can come and go as you change the engine speed?

Can you duplicate it at idle or does the car need to be in gear on the brake?

If so I can help it be found and almost any tech with a few years experience can as well.

What we do is put it up on a rack and use a light rubber mallet to tap the bottom of the exhaust, converter and muffler to see if we can make the noise. If that does not work we put a driver in the seat and have him run the engine and shift the transmission while the other tech is under the car to pinpoint the noise.

It may be the converter, it has a clamshell heat sheild that may be bent or one of the welds snapped. A simple fix once you locate the noise.

How can I help you with this?

It is a tinny rattle that can come and go. Most noticeable at lower speeds. Sometimes its much louder than others.
Will have to get car up on a rack

Sure sounds like one of the heat shields. I am surprised no one has been able to locate it. When the vehicle is lifted the wheels will sag down if a two post lift is used. This may move the exhaust enough to hide the noise. You may need to get it up on a four post lift so it is the same as being on the ground.

Please let me know if you have further questions, if nothing further please complete the rating

Thanks

George H.
George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician