Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

When I go up a slight or moderate incline, my rpms' rev up…

Customer Question
When I go up...

When I go up a slight or moderate incline, my rpms' rev up close to 4.5-5.00. I can hit my gas peddle and the rpm's fall back to around 2.5-3. I am also burning tons of oil. So, I'm wondering if it is my tranny, or one of the hundr de

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Hundreds of sensors tha t night be screwed up. Too much fuel, shit

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '00 Hyundai?

Sifht. shift monitor out of whack? 2011, 153,000

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

No

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Hyundai
Is someone one going to come on and answer my questions?
I also hear loud clicking with my rpm's shoot up. I also am loosing oil. Otherwise, can has been well maintained and in great condition.
9/22/2017
Hyundai Mechanic: EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician

Hi. Welcome to chat! My name is ***** ***** I am currently a factory dealer auto mechanic. I will attempt to assist you with your concern today.

What model of hyundai do you have

Please note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal. Also we can respond in this chat back and forth many times. I may be offline when you respond but I will promptly reply when I return.

Thank you for rating my assistance and for using Just Answer.

2011 Hynadai Santa Fe 4 cyl.

If you rev the engine in neutral or park, can you hear the loud clicking sound from the engine?

This all started about 2 years ago, right after I saw a huge light blue bloom come out of my tail pipe. This was shortly after an added an addiditive to clean my fuel injectors.
No, it does not make that sound. It does make the clicking sound when I turn the car on in the am for the first time.

Ok. How much oil are you actually using?

I'm going through 2-e quarts for every 2k miles

And there are no leaks?

I can seem to find one. No oil on the ground, although they said I could be blowing it out my tailpipe.

If you are going through that much oil and you hear a noise from the engine on first starting, I really hate to tell you, put it sounds like your engine is tired and on its way out.

not the transmission? What about those sensors that regulate the amount of oil versus air/fuel? I've had a few coils replaced, for that was the first engine lights I had on (back then), but after it a while, it went back to running like garbage. Car is in great shape otherwise, and was hoping to do like a 2,000 fix instead of buying a new one. I use it for work, so should Imdrive it until it literally falls apart. It there not a local shop that can do a compression check or look at the engine rings. Just looking for some ideas before as have to buy a new one. Thoughts ?

It does not sound like a transmission to me. The knocking noise and oil comsumption is the red flag for me. There are no sensors that can cause oil to be used. That should be staying in the engine no mater what. A mechanic can do a compression test. And can also do a cylinder leakage check to check for blowby past the rings. A mechanic can disassemble the engine if it came down to it to look at the rings. But also for the noise is makes when first starting, there is likely a bearing in the lower end going bad. These 2.4 engines are sort of known for that as well.

what would the cost of something like be referenced in your last paragraph? Do you think it's a probability that they could find a bad piston (listen ring)? Or is it something that if it's happening to one, it's going to be a regular occurrence down the road. What's your professional opinion on that expense initially, versus buying a nicer used car

If your engine is using oil, and knocking in the morning, my opinion, would be to just replace it with a used engine or a remanufactured one. You could be looking from 1000 to 4000 for that. Depending on engine, used, remanufactured, etc... I think a mechanic that you bring it to would agree that that motor is not worth fixing and not worth putting a lot of diagnosis time into. Especially if he has had experience with these motors as I have, working at the dealer.

Got it, thanks for your time and effort!!!!

You are welcome. Also note that after rating this chat the session will remain open so if you want to come back and ask a follow up question thats fine. Thanks.

Hi. Just checking in to see how you are doing and if you have made progress or need more info. If so just respond back. Otherwise please take a quick moment to rate my assistance. Thank you.

EricFromCT
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician