Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a lease and my car got damaged. AI fied a claim but…

Customer Question
I have a lease...

I have a lease and my car got damaged. AI fied a claim but did not get enough money to fix the car becausse of a high deductible. I haVe to return the lease in January. Woud I BE BETTER OFF TO RETURN IT WITH THE DAMAGE OR HAVE IT REPAIRED

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2015 Hyundai Sonata

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sonata yourself? What have you tried so far?

I hae not done anything/ I cannot fix it. it will need an auto body shop

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

There is a tear in the unibody right side rear fender

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Hyundai
9/18/2017
Hyundai Mechanic: eauto, The Car Guy replied 11 months ago
eauto
eauto, The Car Guy

Hi . Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.
hw bad is the damage ? any photos?

i believe the back fender will need to be replaced as it is unibody
please write me
thrre is a seven to eight inch tear
are you still here?
My 2015 Hyundai Sonata has a tear in the unibody rear fender around seven to eight inches long. Since it wraps around the entire back of the car, I think it needs the fender replaced. Would it cost me more to have it repaired or to return it to the dealer and pay them for the damage. No insurance involved.
I will be leasing another car from hyundai
Hyundai Mechanic: gomi_otaku, Technician replied 11 months ago
gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician

you can get an estimate for FREE at most auto body shops- that will at least give you a baseline for what it would cost to repair without going through insurance.

It might be good to just be honest with the dealer, often they do not even inspect the cars when returning them from a lease. They could repair it, or just let VW take it back from them.