Hyundai

Hyundai Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Hyundai

2006 Hyundai Sonata won't lock into park position with the…

2006 Hyundai Sonata won't...

2006 Hyundai Sonata won't lock into park position with the console shift selector in place

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?

Just purchased the car as is, i think there may be some leakage

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sonata yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Without shift selector in place, gear shift moves freely & locks in park. wondering if the metal rod may be slightly bent

9/16/2017
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started. If I upload dropbox links, without the app use the box in the top right for direct download.

Normally this means the shift lock solenoid has not retracted out of the way allowing the shift to make it into park and lock in place. Do you know how to remove the center console so we can do some inspections there?

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Thank you Chris. I determined that the Shift Rod it self was bent, not allowing the Console Shift Selector to lock in park with it in place. Seems to be working ok now.

Glad you got it resolved.

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician