peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

The check active airflap system notification came on my

Customer Question

the check active airflap system notification came on my dashboad along with the engine light. My car is out of warranty with 130K miles. What is the ballpark estimate to fix this issue
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: goes off and on. Came on before the check active airflap notification came on and then went off for about a week. Then the check active airflap notification and the light came on together
JA: What is the model/year of your Hyundai?
Customer: 2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
JA: Are you fixing your Sonata Hybrid yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i am not fixing it myself.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This can be due to a fault with the air flap motor for the radiator that controls air flow through the radiator or on some models there was an update to the engine computer software for this issue here.A dealer will have to check to see if the software needs installed and test to see if the flap motor needs replaced.The cost for diagnosis can run around $100 and if programming is needed another $50 to $100.If the flap motor needs replaced in some cases this can run around $300 to $500.

This will need to be checked/tested further to locate which is the cause then repaired from there.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete