Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

05 santa fe...engine continues to run after key is turned…

Customer Question
05 santa fe...engine continues...

05 santa fe...engine continues to run after key is turned off and taken out

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?

Car was eventually shut off after revving the gas pedal and shutting off the key..but still wants to do this every few uses.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Santa Fe yourself? What have you tried so far?

No

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Hyundai
9/12/2017
Hyundai Mechanic: Amedee, Hyundai Technician replied 9 months ago
Amedee
Amedee, Hyundai Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

I am very sorry your having this issue with your vehicle.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help.

This condition is likely caused by a faulty ignition switch. It is the electrical portion that I suspect is the issue. There is also the ignition lock cylinder which would be an issue, but then the key would either get stuck in the ignition or you would not be able to turn the ignition switch on or off. So if the key turns easy, then I suspect the electrical part of the ignition switch is faulty and will need to be replaced.

The good news is that it is less than 20 bucks. The O.E. part number is *****

I found it here for you on Amazon.

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

I just ask that you allow time in between replies as I may be helping other customers or off line spending time with the family.

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks and have a great day!!