Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Won't start without a jump; it clicks like weak battery or…

Customer Question
Won't start without a...

Won't start without a jump; it clicks like weak battery or faulty starter. New battery and new starter installed. With jump all is normal. once running all is normal. Battery is charging when running, 14V plus reading when idling.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the battery? And have you tested it with a voltmeter?

1 week Yes, 12.3V off, 14V plus when running after jump and cables removed.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '12 Hyundai?

It's a 2013, sorry if I miss typed earlier. It's the low end accent and doesn't say any letters anywhere.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Accent yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. Replaced battery and starter motor. Cleaned battery cables at both ends. They measure less than 0.1 ohms resistance from end to end. With my meter, that is as much resolution as it has.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Once jumper cables connected to another car, everything appears normal with instrument cluster and starting. Once running all is normal. Before connecting jumpers, when turn ignition to start, the instrument warning lights blink abnormally.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Hyundai
9/10/2017
Hyundai Mechanic: George H., Hyundai Technician replied 9 months ago
George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician

Hello I will help,

Sounds like the cable clamp is not making good contact. Can you disassemble it and clean the inside then put it back on the post and ensure it is tight?

terminals have been done already, now going down to a connector i see below battery. Please wait

The point is when you clamp jumpers on it is to the clamp. Somehow the positive post of the battery is not making good contact with the clamp. The starter connection is fine, it works with the jumper.

Resistance of positive and negative connections from battery to starter motor tested individually (disconnected one while measuring the other) are less than 0.1 ohm which is the limit of my meter. Still clicks without jump and starts immediately with jump.
I verified that all connection points on the cables and battery terminals are clean and shiny

You cannot ensure the integrity of a connection through a resistance measurement when you expect it to pass 150 amps. You must do a voltage drop test.

First measure post to post the get starting voltage, you posted 12.3 which is .3 low but next turn the key to start and watch the voltage. If it is below 10.5 either the battery is bad or the connection is poor. Measure from the post to the outside of the clamp and try to start again, if you see more than .5 volts the connection is poor.

Let me know if those tests are clear and what the results are.

will do, thanks.

OK, let me know what you find, I will be here til the power goes out.

Just now, while running, after jump. 13.9V while "charging". When just turned off, 12.7V. When ignition switch on but not cranking, 12.5V. In start position with starter clicking, it was bouncing around 11.3V to 10.9V.
The new battery is part # 121R-C, 580 CCA @ 0 degrees F. The RC is 80.

Sure sounds like you have a poor connection. Can you check from the positive cable to the positive post while cranking and do the same for the negative side?

Should be able to, let me get my kid.

OK, I am here

On the positive connections, I went from battery terminal to positive cable connection to the solenoid. While cranking/clicking, the voltage bounced from 15mV to 30mV. On the negative connections, I went from the engine block next to where the starter bolts on. The voltage bounced from 10mV to 25mV.

Not there then. Can you check from the solenoid connection to the case of the starter and to the negative battery post?

I'll pop out the starter again.

Sorry? Can you do it while it is on the vehicle?

Thanks, ***** ***** just about to ask if that is what you wanted. Let me see if I can get on that point while cranking

Was the battery and starter replaced for this condition or did it begin with starter replacement?

Where did the starter come from? Is it a rebuilt unit?

The battery went dead and was replaced about 2 weeks before this problem started. I replaced the starter after and the problem stayed the same with the new starter.
I've seen complaints of difficult to diagnose crankshaft sensor problems with this car. My symptoms don't match what they describe but could it be?

No this is a problem getting cranking current from the battery to the starter. What is weird is you can jump it and it starts. Normally that means the battery is junk or the jumper clamp tighten the clamp enough to make contact. Can you put the jumper cables on the battery and try to crank it? Do not connect the free ends to another battery just leave them disconnected.

will do
Just clicks when I try to start.

Then I am at a loss. Sorry but I don't know what else to try unless I was there to see it. I will OPT OUT and maybe another tech will be able to go further with the info posted.

Sorry I could not help

I understand. Thank you for trying.
Hyundai Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 9 months ago
Dan, Technician

Lets start over with some testing. Monitor battery voltage on the solenoid while trying to start, let me know what voltage is. Thanks.

ok, wait one minute

No problem, keep me updated. Thanks.

when on the starter motor side of the solenoid, I measure just 15mV because, I'm guessing, with the solenoid clicking there is not a solid connection to the positive terminal.
Or is this because there is not a solid voltage coming into the solenoid to activate it?

Check on the side where the wire connects.

Where wire from vehicle connects.

I have to see if there is a way to get to the voltage coming into the solenoid control wire. Yes, I can. Hold on, getting a helper to turn the key for me.

Sounds good, we will get this figured out. Keep me updated, thanks.

It slowly went up to 11.2V but did not jump up to 12+ like I would have expected.
There was no clicking sound since I had to disconnect it from the solenoid in order to measure the voltage.

How long did it take to go up to 11.2?

3 - 5 seconds

What did voltage start at?

0.0V was the starting point

I mean after you turned key to start position? Id imagine it jumped up to something significant?

This time it jumped to 7.0V, then climbed over 1 - 2 seconds to 8.6V, then went down to 0V. Did it twice, same both times.

What engine do you have? Automatic or manual transmission?

automatic, 1.6 L engine, Has DGi on the plastic shroud on top.

Thanks, ***** ***** about 10 minute to go over wiring diagrams and I"ll get back to you.

thank you

Check voltage at the 10 amp start fuse while trying to start located on interior fuse box. Let me know what voltage is, thanks.

should I connect the control wire back to the solenoid first?

It doesn't matter either way.

I get the full battery voltage on the bottom connector of the 10A fuse when I turn the key to the start position

Have you replaced starter relay yet? it is starting to sound like that is problem. It is located in fuse box under the hood.

The fuse looks intact and measures 0 ohms
No I haven't replaced that. Is that a beige colored cube in the under hood fuse box?

Here is a picture of relay, one of the other relays should fit so you can swap them out quick to see if it turns over. Let me know, thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i5vn3qfb7jczpju/str.pdf?dl=0

got it, will check it.

Sounds good, keep me updated. Thanks.

Dan, I removed the starter relay and tested it and it functions properly with 0.0 ohm resistance as far as my meter can measure. I am not able to get a new starter relay till Hyundai opens; none of the parts stores in my town have it. But since the battery that AAA installed is lower CCA and RC than recommended, I replaced the battery. It now starts normally, although it did when this battery was new so I can't be conclusive. I will get a new starter relay tomorrow as well since it is cheap. Thank you for your help today. I will let you know how it proceeds and if the problem repeats.

No problem, let me know how it goes or if you need anything. Thanks.