Greg
Greg, import technician
Experience:  27 year and 16 year as shop owner, import technician
29331485

Oreilly automotive trouble code hookup shows P0302-0305

Customer Question

Oreilly automotive trouble code hookup shows P0302-0305 misfires on 1,2,3 and 4 cylinders. P1623 no DTC definition found, and P0343 camshaft position sensor a circuit high input B1, and P0326 knock sensor 1 circuit ranger performance Bank 1. The car runs rough and smokes terribly upon startup. Slow climbing hills and acceleration. I have done a ring job, head reconditioning, new coil, wires, plugs, camshaft sensor, injectors, starter is ordered. When I reach down to touch the wire for coil 1 and 4 I get a shock, indicating perhaps a short somewhere, but new plug wires firmly attached. New camshaft sensor made no difference, new ISC actuator made temporary 50% improvement but on the second day, all problems returned.
JA: Have you seen the misfire code before? Has the car been stalling?
Customer: no stall, have seen the misfired codes before but never all four at same time
JA: What year is your Ranger?
Customer: mine is a Hyundai Accent 1.5 2000
JA: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Hyundai, wrong chat
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, that I have a Hyundai, not a Ranger
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Greg replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Greg (Indy-Tech).
Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.
Rgds Greg.

Expert:  Greg replied 1 month ago.

Hi .

Sorry for the misunderstanding above with the Secretary.

If you clear all codes and do a test drive what codes will you have .

What colour is the smoke Black?.

When you clear the codes does the engine run fine for a few minutes .

Greg

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Greg: First I want to make sure I understand how this works. $5 deposit, $31 for an answer which includes "going back and forth with questions and answers until I've learned all I can", is that about right? I didn't need a monthly subscription.The smoke is all white, and gas consumption is very great. I will get an answer to the question about clearing the codes and get back with you tomorrow. I had a 50% increase in performance replacing the Idle Speed Control Actuator, but this is inconsistent performance. The ISC install got rid of P1513 and P1533. I am left with P1623 no DTC definition found, random misfires on all four cylinders (P0302 through P0325) and P0326 knock sensor 1 circuit range performance Bank 1 codes, plus P0343 camshaft position sensor a circuit high input B1. I replaced this sensor with no change in performance.
Robert
Expert:  Greg replied 1 month ago.

Hi Robert .

Yes we can go back and forth until this problem is sorted out .even if i become to a stage i can't help

another expert can jump in and help .

Even after rating 3 starts and above we can still correspond with no extra charge .

Is the white smoke more gray and a smell of fuel and sting the eyes or is white as you say and has a smell on the sweet side.

Greg

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I cleared the codes this morning by unhooking the negative battery cable for ten minutes, and restarted the car. It did not smoke as profusely but still white, not stinging the eyes but I'll pay more attention to the smell. I have ordered a knock sensor and next time I drive to Oreilly to have the codes read, I will hook up my new camshaft sensor as well. I will try this tomorrow morning to get the latest.
A short review: replacing the ICS actuator helped by 50%, running better, experiencing better hill climbing and accelerating, but still rough running. I read online that even a bad starter can be involved and I know it is bad because when it is hot I have to push the car to start it. So I have that ordered as well. Knock sensor coming also.
Robert
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Tuesday Sept 12: I cleared the codes just in case, installed my new camshaft sensor, and noticed the black wire broken. Drove it to Oreilly's, got trouble codes P0343 camshaft position sensor, P0300 multiple misfire, P0326 knock sensor 1 circuit rnage performance bank 1.
Tried to sniff out the white smoke, did not burn my eyes, more sweeter as you have said. Came home, resoldered black wire onto camshaft sensor connection, tried to start but the engine is warm and starter not good. Will start it when it cools down.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Oh, and it does not stall. Just runs really rough
Expert:  Greg replied 1 month ago.

Do A Co2 coolant test , looks like you have a bad cylinder head gasket .

Have you ever overheated the engine .

But white smoke is water burning .(Coolant).

This is not a one answer and done i/we will stay with you until the problem is sorted out .
Before rating poor or bad please get back to me as i'm here to help you, if i can't i will opt out so another expert can.
We want you to be happy with an answer and help you with your problem . Want you to be a happy motorist .
After rating there is no further cost for any other question relating to this problem
Kind regards Greg..

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just had the head replaned, new valves where needed, surfaced, etc. Machine shop owner said head gasket was fine. Not familiar with co2 test but will inquire and see if I can get that. Yes I overheated once or twice but had the head reconditioned after. Just installed new knock sensor and starter this evening, started it and ran, it is worse. I will take it to Oreilly to have codes read again to see what is left. Thanks for staying with me on this.White smoke is water, could it be a cracked block then, if not a head gasket?
Robert
Expert:  Greg replied 1 month ago.

Could be a cracked head or block .

If its been heated too many time could be a warped block ?

Check this link out for the Co2 test .

Click here

Rgds Greg

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I drained the oil and put in a clear plastic container to see if it would separate. No water. No water on dipstick or brown foam. None on oil filler cap. Codes at Oreilly now read knock sensor circuit and misfire on number 3, with corresponds to pulling the plugwire off and no change in engine running. Could we converse about these two codes/symptoms? The rest of the engine is running gutsy, you can tell that if number 3 were working correctly, I would have normal acceleration/power. I have spurts of power.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Greg:
I am awaiting an answer pertaining to the remaining trouble codes, feeling that a bad head gasket and co2 test are not pertaining to those. Can we pick up the thread by addressing the remaining trouble codes? I notice my account has now been charged the $31 but in a way i feel we have not focussed on those codes.0326 knock sensor 1 circuit range performance. The head gasket is ruled out because that code appeared on the previous head gasket as well, and since that time I have had the head planed and a new gasket installed.
Robert
Expert:  Greg replied 1 month ago.

Hi Rob .

The money you paid in on your JA account and will stay there until you rate my answer ,so don't worry .

Even if you had rated i or another expert would stay with you until this is sorted out.

Having a bad headgasket does not always mean you will have water in the oil ,your problem to me is most like just a bad gasket between the water and cylinder. this will just cause a white smoke issue .

Remove all plugs and do a compression test .

Another issue for a miss on #3 ,bad injector ,bad spark plug ,no compression or low ,head gasket ,valves burnt ,catalytic converter blockage ,Timing out ,

White smoke is water being burnt in the cylinder .

The Knock sensor code is cause from a bad knock sensor,wiring issue bad connection ,this code will not cause you any drivability issue .most it will cause is a slight engine ping.

Rgds Greg

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you Greg. Here's what I have to rule out:
1. Bad head gasket, I have now had three, smoking with all three, and properly torqued headbolts. (A couple months ago, I started the car, had it out of time, interference occured, I had to get the head done again, this time planed as well as valves replaced, etc.). so I am thinking, head gasket not involved, also burnt valves not the cause due to its recent reconditioning.2. Compression test by certified mechanic, all four sufficient for normal running, but true, cylinder 3 a little low, but still in range for proper running. Smoked and ran bad with previous injectors, all replaced, same with plugs, I've tried three things, gapping at .035 and .040, and purchasing the pointed kind. No changes occurred.3. If the timing were out, the other three cylinders would non be running as well, right? You can tell it wants to run good, but that number 3 is messing it up. I have moments with normal acceleration. No popping or other noises from tail pipe that I am familiar with when timing is off. But I can remove the upper timing belt cover and recheck very easily, this I will do. I have marks on the harmonic balancer that tell me where the crankshaft is. More on this when I accomplish it.4. Clogged catalytic would affect all four, right? Can we rule that out?5. The simplest, most basic thing we have ignored--I pull the plug wire off number 3 while the engine is running, and no change. It simply is not firing consistently. I don't know any of the above that are left standing as probable causes. Is there a bad ground somewhere, a short? And after all the number 3 misfire Youtube and other accounts I have read, I have not seen one solution, have you?Can we rule out some of these and focus on one or two?Robert
Expert:  Greg replied 1 month ago.

Pulling the plug on #3 no change ,Could be the following .

Plug ,Cable ,Injector ,Low compression ,

And yes timing belt out one tooth will do this .

You said P0305 or misprint .

You still got white smoke coming out the exhaust pipe .

Greg

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Plug, cable, injectors all ruled out because all new, and smoke is coming out with old and new, not related I don't think
Low compression ruled out because of test by certified mechanic showing sufficient compression on all four
Timing belt ruled out even one tooth off because of design balance of the engine itself, which would have to affect the other three cylinders as well
You have ruled out the knock sensor circuit 0326 since it would only cause a ping
This leaves bad head gasket, which I have used the exact same manufactured version three times, it is a cheap one--but why only number three affected.
And for the smoking, if water is being burned, then my water level should go down as I drive it more. I will take a look at this.
Any other possibilities for the low/no power on number 3, that are not ruled out?