Hyundai

Hyundai Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Hyundai

I failed emission testing with my hyundai 2010 sonata for

Customer Question
code P0449- Evaporative Emission System...
I failed emission testing with my hyundai 2010 sonata for code P0449- Evaporative Emission System Vent Valve/Solenoid Circuit. I was told by the mechanic it needs the whole gas tank replaced. I am checking on that information.
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: It is not a gas hog but it has been having problem with cuttting off when filling with gas and gas spills out if I am not careful. It is starting the same as ususal.
JA: Are you fixing your Sonata yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No I have a mechanic. He said he smoked it from the front and the back and found nothing. He says the rollover valve which prevents gas from flowing out is malfunctioning. He says the valve cannot be replaced as the part is not available except as a part of the entire gas tank assembly.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That is all that I know. check engine light is on.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Hyundai
9/8/2017
Hyundai Mechanic: davehop, Auto Service Technician replied 3 months ago
davehop
davehop, Auto Service Technician
Hello and welcome to JA... The most common problem on your vehicle is the canister itself leaking the very rarely does the rollover valve cause a P0449 code most often overlooked is the small leak that comes from the canister assembly itself the rollover valve does not allow gas to escape in the in the emergency when a vehicle overturned the rollover valve has nothing to do with the vent malfunctioning unless the rollover valve was stuck open which would give you a P0455 code for having a gross evap leak
Would a p0449 code require installing a new gas tank? Can just the cannister assembly be replaced or repaired?
The canister can be replaced without even touching the gas tank 99% of the time the canister is leaking the correct repair at this point would be to replace the canister assembly and the canister vent valve and blow out the fuel tank filter and the canister vent exit line what happens on this Vehicles is spiderwebs clog up the canister vent this causes it not to vent when that happens the computer thinks that there is something wrong with the vent valve and sets the code also the canister itself is prone to leaking from Tiny cracks where mounts to its mounting bracket so have the canister replaced the vent valve replaced blow out that square filter that is mounted right next to the canister on the body with compressed air to make sure there are no cobwebs in there and you should be fine
Please rate my answer to your question...the rate tab is at the top of your screen...I only get credit for helping you when you rate my answer....if you are not satisfied with my answer or if you need further assistance, please continue to ask questions until you are satisfied. Thank You for using JA.
Are you still in need of assistance?
davehop
davehop
davehop, Auto Service Technician