Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

It has stalled on me once in June, once in July, once in…

Customer Question
It has stalled on...

It has stalled on me once in June, once in July, once in August, and now once in September. It is the same thing every time. The engine basically dies and I can't move. It really sucks when it happens when I'm on the interstate. Terrifying. I've taken it in to auto shops every time it has happened. Each time, they say they can't duplicate the symptoms except for the first time when they replace throttle position sensor. I love this car and it should be just fine based on what the mechanics say and the thousands of miles I've put on it between malfunctions. However, I can't have this keep happening to me. Being stranded on the side of the road is one of the worst feelings there is.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the vehicle hesitate during acceleration? Or maybe speed up suddenly when you aren't even hitting the gas?

Yes to both, when the problem is occurring. Then I'm screwed

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Hyundai?

2005 Hyundai Tucson

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tucson yourself? What have you tried so far?

I've brought it to three different auto shops. First time they fixed the throttle position sensor. The last three times, they haven't fixed anything because they say there is nothing to fix

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Each time it's happened, it's been on hot days. But the dash doesn't indicate that it is overheating

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Hyundai
9/7/2017
Hyundai Mechanic: Mike V., Hyundai Technician replied 11 months ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Hyundai Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Sorry to hear you are having this issue with your car.

Does it restart right away or do you have to wait for the engine to cool down?

Usually it restarts right away.

The most common thing I see when this is happening is bad wiring at the crank position sensor. Sometimes the wires become bare and that leaves them open to corrosion, water intrusion and this type of problem. I would ask that they inspect the wiring harness very closely and maybe even replace this sensor. Its quite possible it's losing the signal from the sensor and then, the computer turns off spark. This can happen without even setting a code or causing the check engine light to come on.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

Hello again,

I hadn't gotten a response from you and wondered if you need any more help with this?