Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Santa fe 2001 2.7 v6 4x4, all over sudden it wont move,

Customer Question
Santa fe 2001 2.7...

Santa fe 2001 2.7 v6 4x4, all over sudden it wont move, engine starts ok but when in gear is not moving

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

2001 transmission The gear stick can move to D or R but the car is not moving just reving

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Santa Fe yourself? What have you tried so far?

I checked the gear cable that is connected on gear bix and gear stick

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Hyundai
Hello
9/6/2017
Hyundai Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 11 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is the cable moving when shifted into D or R?

Is or has the check engine light come on at all with this issue or have you had fault codes checked?

Is there any transmission fluid leaking at all?

Let me know,thanks Pete

the cable is moving on both sides good(under the gear stick and on the gearbox). The problem started while i was driving on 120km without any noise or anything strange the car started to slow down and the engine stopped. When i started the engine again i realized that with any gear the car wasnt moving...no check engine light no codes checked,no transmission fluid leaking...

O.k.,this does sound to be a mechanical fault in the transmission.I have seen issues with the input shaft breaking in some cases causing this fault here.Since there are no leaks and it does shift with the shifter the transmission will have to be inspected internally to locate which component has failed needing replaced.I suspect one of these will most likely be the cause here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Better to look for a used gearbox?

It does sound like you may have a major component broken in the gear box itself which can lead to replacement as replacement can be cheaper in some cases especially used.One place I use for used parts like this here is http://www.car-part.com.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete