Hyundai

Hyundai Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Hyundai

2010 Hyundai Elantra Touring. It swerves to the left when

2010 Hyundai Elantra Touring. JA: Are...
2010 Hyundai Elantra Touring.
JA: Are you fixing your Elantra Touring yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It swerves to the left when braking.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: New pads on front. All calipers are free. New brake hose on the front right and a new caliper on the front right. E-brake is not dragging. No air in the lines. Pedal is hard. Very noticeable above 50 kms when braking, swerving to the left that is.
JA: Do the vents feel cold? Is there a coolant leak?
Customer: Coolant leak? What does that have to do with this?
I had an alignment done as well and I was told everything is A-OK.This has really got we wondering what is wrong.
Discs were deglazed as well and pads are free in new seats.
no to the ABS light being on nor did it come on recently.
ABS light is not on nor has it come on in the past.
8/22/2017
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

Good afternoon,

What you describe sounds like brake system contamination.

Take a look at the rubber seal under the cap of the brake fluid reservoir. How does it look?

Clean.

It doesn't look swollen or anything?

No and the brake fluid is clear. No rubber bits floating in it either.

Does it feel like it's pulling the steering wheel or the whole vehicle?

The whole vehicle to the left, never to the right, not once.

If it feels like it pulls the steering wheel then I would suspect the front caliper, if it pulls the whole vehicle then I would suspect the back caliper.

The front pulls or swerves to the left, then when I come off the pedal it snaps back to centre.

When you say the pedal is hard you don't mean harder than normal? You just mean hard: like it should be?

That is really wild because I pulled the rears off. Pads are still good and floater pins are free.

If you have a safe place to test drive it with nothing to crash into, try getting a pair of needle nose vice grips and pinch off the rubber brake line on the left front caliper. Be careful though. The right caliper might not be working at all and it may be hard to stop.

If it doesn't make a difference then pinch the left rear rubber line.

I have in no way modified or contaminated my system or fluid.Is there any chance the master cylinder is causing this?I ask because some manufacturers have odd ball defects.
Are you thinking the diagonal braking is screwed up?

I think the most likely cause is the right side caliper on the front or rear is restricted somehow.

Like I mentioned. New caliper on the front and a new brake hose as well. Fluid flowed good when bleeding.
Front right that is.
Have you heard of Hyundai having any internal failures that could cause this?
As in any TSBs?

I'm running through the Hyundai bulletins and tech tips right now. These braking systems are usually pretty bulletproof.

I won't be able to get at this till Friday night at my shop.
I didn't want to say this to start with, but I work as a Heavy Truck mechanic and I have never encountered something like this that wasn't pretty obvious after an inspection. And I have seen a lot of off the wall stuff.
Brakes do not shudder while braking either.
I will try what you said Friday night.
Till then, if you find something, let me know.

Let me know how it goes. I think it's going to end up as a caliper issue.

I hope it is.I had a problem at thrown at me that was ongoing for months. I inherited the job after 4 other techs had it. A city bus.The bus went to Cummins. Everything possible was thrown at the engine but it would still shutdown, about $10,000. It would run for a couple of weeks without any problems. It came in on the hook one night and I was told to fix it no matter how long it took.
Cummins left the ground strap off the ECM, the batteries were borderline, the driver's start switch was bad, but none of that was the problem. I dropped the fuel tank and found the suction line fitting was loose. Problem solved. All that after about 6 or 7 hours of WTH?

Wow, I'm glad you got it sorted out. What a major pain in the tail.

I took my car into a different alignment shop and told the tech what had and was happening. I wanted him to put it up on the lift and assume something is loose or worn. Disregard the previous alignment results.My ball joints are worn out. He questioned how the hell the shop I took it to for the alignment could have not picked up on it. God damn if I knew but that is why I came here today. Not having a garage to work in currently I was relying on somebody else.

Well that would explain the pull. I am amazed at these shops that allow the newest guy in the shop to perform "simple jobs" like alignments. How is the new guy going to notice that the car needs major suspension repairs.

I figured it wasn't actually brake related. These brake systems are so simple it's hard to have things go wrong that aren't easily explained.

I had a dealer tell me everything was A-ok on my wife's car when I took it in for warranty work. We drove it for a year with a vibration that they insisted was normal. I couldn't check the balance myself because I run a government fleet and we don't work on our own vehicles in the shop.

It turns out we drove for a year with unbalanced tires because their balancer was acting up and they claimed it was normal for a brand new car to have a vibration.

It was the owner who did the job and he has been licensed for years. I was pissed.I have a simple theory. When it isn't what it shouldn't be, it is. When looking for the oxy/acetylene cart go back to where you were when you started looking and turn around.
Send me the bill. Just kicking this around made me think.How is this for a head trip.
I have 1997 GMC K1500 4x4. I had a noticeable hesitation at highway speed, but it was intermittent. I had put new plugs and wires in before this happened.I tracked the problem down to the coil acting up. Replaced it. A couple of months later the problem returned. Intermittent again. WTF? Finally the truck wouldn't start. Checked the coil wire. Good spark. Checked the individual plug wires. No spark. Pulled the wires out of the distributor end. Whoa! Dielectric was applied initially and boots burped. The connection clips were made of shitty metal (Made in China Chinonium Steel) and they had completely turned to oxide.

Nice. I can't stand crappy part failures. I've spent hours tracking a problem and it turns out to be a crappy part I already replaced.

Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Jared D
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician