Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

My transmission is getting hot and it's having a bit of

My transmission is getting hot and it's having a bit of trouble going over 40 . I took it to a mechanic and they told me a torque converter and overdrive was going out . What precautions should I take while I'm on the road with those going bad on my 2007 hyundai accent?
JA: Do you have the torque specs?
Customer: No I don't. Is that something I can figure out myself without a mechanic ?
JA: What is the model/year of your Hyundai?
Customer: 2007 accent . Hatchback
JA: Are you fixing your Hatchback yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No I'm taking it to mechanics in town . It started to overheat so I got the fans replaced then the water pump started leaking so I also got that replaced. The check engine light comes on periodically every day I drive it more than 25 miles or so . I put trans ex in with the transmission fluid but that is all
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Before these fixes on the car I would drive down the highway and it would take me a little more push to get over 70 . Like the transmission jerked once in a while trying to accelerate from 60 to 70

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started.

The converter locking in the clutch is how the trans cools through the cooler. So if you have converter issues and a slipping overdrive. That is going to result in excessive heat which is going to end up ruining all your seals, then clutch discs are going to fail. There is not alot you can do to prevent the damage. After 15 minutes of driving it is going to get to hot and more damage is going to start occurring turning this semi overhaul into a full fledged overhaul.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok so as long as my transmission doesn't overheat I'm not hurting the car ? Or is it inevitable becuase the torque converter is slipping into the clutch ?

That is correct, if you can keep the temp down and avoid the known gear not working then you will be limiting more damage. The converter clutch only engages above 45mph to cool, and prevent high rpms, and to gain mpg. If you drive it this way above 45 it is going to begin to get hot.