Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Turns over doesn't catch. Need help testing whether pump is…

Turns over doesn't catch...

Turns over doesn't catch. Need help testing whether pump is bad or not

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fluids recently?

Which fluids would keep it from catching? It has fuel.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Hyundai?

2011 sonata

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sonata yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, getting 4.83 volts on blue and black wires of fuel pump connector

8/10/2017
davehop
davehop, Auto Service Technician
Hello and welcome to JA....the first thing we need to do is see if you are getting fuel to the injectors..... I need you to open the hood and take off the plastic cover that covers the engine, on the top of the engine is a silver apparatus that is your GDI high pressure fuel pump there is a plastic line going directly into it from the front of the motor I want you to remove this line from the GDI fuel pump and then have somebody cycle the key on and off and see if your getting any fuel through that line do not remove the silver line that is screwed into the side of the GDI pump as this is the high pressure side use a shop towel or a rag of some sort put it over the top of the fuel line when you remove it from the fuel pump as there may be some residual pressure there and I don't want you to get splashed by it
We did that, got nothing.
Ok....the fuel pump needs 12 volts to operate....can you connect a volt meter to the battery and tell me what the battery voltage is please?
Terminal to terminal is 12.31
Ok....now go back to the fuel pump.... When you turn the key on you will only have power to the fuel pump for around five seconds so keeping that in mind I want you to go back there unplug the connector for the fuel pump you were going to have one black wire in that connector that is the ground wire hook the negative lead from your voltmeter to that wire and then have somebody turn the key on as you inspect each of the other wires and see which one has 12 volts for at least five seconds that's going to be the power wire for your fuel pump check that and let me know which wire has 12 volts when you turn the key on
In the 3 wire connector there is a black and red wire, we get 3 volts to blue continuous and 5 volts to white continuous
One wire is black and red striped
On the 4 wire black to brown is 11.47 continuous. Black to green was 2.7 , black to Orange was zero
Ok....and just to humor me.... Go and disconnect the fuel line up at that high pressure fuel pump and every time you cycle the key you should have a burst of fuel coming out of that plastic fuel line can you please check that and tell me if that's happening please
No, nothing
Ok...your fuel pump is dead....and it needs to be replaced
There is a special service tool that needs to be used to remove the locking ring that keeps that fuel pump in the fuel tank unfortunately the only place you can obtain this tool is that a Hyundai dealership nowhere that I know of sells it on the outside and I don't think that you're going to be able to borrow that tool from the dealership so you may have to bring your vehicle to the dealership and have that fuel pump replaced
davehop
davehop, Auto Service Technician
Ok, thank you