Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

All the oil ran out and my 2012 Sonata died while I was

Customer Question
Hi! All the oil...

Hi! All the oil ran out and my 2012 Sonata died while I was driving. Pulled over, refilled with oil, but brake pedal won't push down so I can't get it to start.

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your last oil change?

Not sure but the sticker said I was due last month.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sonata yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just putting oil in. I don't understand why there was none in there.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No i guess not thanks

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Hyundai
8/7/2017
Hyundai Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 1 year ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. So the oil light came on and you pulled over and there was no reading on the dip stick? any evidence of oil all over the engine or on the ground?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, I didn't see oil anywhere.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
A call might be a good idea if I hadn't left my phone in the car and got a ride home.

and there was nothing on the dipstick?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No nothing, so we put 2.5 qts in but it won't start.

is it cranking?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No. Electric is fine, but the brake pedal won't depress so the pushbutton doesn't work.

push really hard on the brake pedal and try it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Pushed as hard as i could.

ok, standby please. thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok

do you have a volt meter?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no

ok, unless you have one Im afraid we cant do anything except check some fuses.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok well thanks anyway.

ok. i can open this up to see if anyone else has any ideas.

Hyundai Mechanic: Gary, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

Hello there,

The brake pedal should still move enough for the engine to start.

If the engine doesn't crank now, it may have seized up from lack of oil.

Does the oil light work with the key on?

Next thing to do is see if the engine will turn by hand with a bar and socket.

Gary

Hello again,

Do you need any further help?

I hope my advice has been of assistance to you.

Kind regards

Gary