Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I just had my engine replaced and the same day I picked it…

Customer Question
Hi I just had...

Hi I just had my engine replaced and the same day I picked it up from the shop the engine light comes on code is showing p0014, there was oil and new filter put into the car at the time the motor was replaced, how could it get low within an hour after leaving the shop?! Also the idle is rougher than it was with the previous engine

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the rough idle intermittent or consistent?

It's been intermittent

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Hyundai?

2011 Hyundai sonata gls

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sonata yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes myself and I have only had the code read yesterday should I check the oil, even though it was just filled

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The engine light was not on prior to replacing the motor

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Hyundai
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/6/2017
Hyundai Mechanic: Roy, import/domestic specialest replied 11 months ago
Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

is this a new or used engine???

what size motor???

Used 2.4l
It came on just a few hours after picking it up friday
Are you still there
Hyundai Mechanic: EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician replied 11 months ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician

Yes you should at least check the oil level. But what likely has happened is the used engine does not have the correct oil control valve in it. It controls the oil for the timing. You should have the shop try swapping the oil control valve with the one from the old motor. I have seen this happen before. I have replaced many new and used 2.4 engines.

Please also note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 3 or more stars will keep the chat open for further follow up questions you may have.

CLICK HERE for rating system example.

Please read this:

Understand it's not one response and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.

1. I am an independent FACTORY DEALER auto mechanic and also work for Just Answer.

2. When you're pleased or happy with my assistance or efforts to help you, at the top of the screen please rate me or reply and say "I'm satisfied".

3. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to ask follow up questions.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Ok and I also have a warranty on the motor I just purchased would this fall under warranty coverage for an engine?

If the oil control valve needs to be swapped over that may not fall in the warranty. It is something the installer needs to swap over from the original engine. The warranty is likely for if there is a mechanical problem with the base engine. But you never know if you dont try or ask.

CLICK HERE for rating system example.

Please read this:

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Ok and is this all connected to the camshaft, that's what the code said also it's over advanced

Yes the oil control valve is for camshaft timing.

CLICK HERE for rating system example.

Please read this:

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Ok and also could you estimate the pricing for repair of this

It will take 10 minutes for your mechanic to swap over the one from the old engine. or about 10 minutes to install a new one. A new one is about 175 dollars from Hyundai.

CLICK HERE for rating system example.

Please read this:

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Thank you for viewing my previous response. Please let me know if you have made progress or need more info. Otherwise please take a quick moment to rate my assistance. Thank you.

CLICK HERE for rating system example.

Please read this:

Thanks for using Just Answer.

CLICK HERE for rating system example.

Please read this:

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Please also note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 3 or more stars will keep the chat open for further follow up questions you may have. Click here for rating system example.

Please read this: Understand it's not one response and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Thank you for viewing my previous response on 8/13/2017 at 11:24:08 AM 3 hr(s) 47 minute(s) ago Please let me know if you have made progress or need more info. Otherwise please take a quick moment to rate my assistance. Thank you.

Please also note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 3 or more stars will keep the chat open for further follow up questions you may have. Click here for an example of how to rate .

2. When you are pleased or happy with my assistance or efforts to help you, at the top of the screen please rate my efforts.

Thank you for using Just Answer.