George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years
13574682

P0171 p0174, 03 Tiburon 2.7L V6, Yes. New fuel filter, 3

Customer Question

P0171 p0174
JA: What is the model/year of your Hyundai?
Customer: 03 Tiburon 2.7L V6
JA: Are you fixing your Tiburon yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. New fuel filter, 3 sets of injectors, 2 new fuel rails, 2 new MAFS, 3 Sets of plugs and wires, 3 new coil packs, new o2 both bank 1&2, and it's been to the dealership as well, but they didn't even reconnect 2 sensor wires. So will not be going back either. Had the car since February less than 2k in miles, and bout the same in cash
JA: Have you located all of the vehicle's oxygen sensors? Are the wires leading to and from each intact and in good shape?
Customer: Yep all are new, and any that looked dismayed weren't there.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  George H. replied 2 months ago.

Hello I will help,

Have they done a pressure and volume test on the fuel pump? Or replaced the pump?

Why so many injectors? Are the getting fouled with rust? Has anyone looked in the tank?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hyundai said they did a pressure test, but I'm not believing them. They said just the rails.
No one has looked in the tank. They keep getting clogged with crud, and even after the new filter still same issues.

The crud is probably coming from the tank. These are fairly easy to look into as there is an access panel to open and remove the pump. Are you doing the work or will you have a shop do it?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'll be doing the work, not one reliable shop around me. Is it by removing the back seat? And pulling like that or somewhere else?

Yes, the procedure to remove the pump is below. I would get a pump and replace it while you have it out. A whole pump module is more expensive but I have done about 30 pump motors and can tell you it is not easy to get the old one out and the new one in. Replacing the whole thing has a greater chance of success. If the locking ring is rusted be very careful removing the screws as if you strip one it complicates the removal xxxx times

Click here for procedure

Look that over and let me know if you have further questions, if nothing further please complete the rating

Thanks