Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2002 Hyundai Santa FE. every time I put gas in the car after…

Customer Question
2002 Hyundai Santa FE...

2002 Hyundai Santa FE. every time I put gas in the car after 1-2 dollars worth the pump stops as if the tank is full but it is not I have to manually slowly put gas in and it still stops every couple of dollars.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Yes and starts same as usual

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Santa Fe yourself? What have you tried so far?

Trying to and gas line cleaner so far

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Hyundai
8/2/2017
Hyundai Mechanic: Mike V., Hyundai Technician replied 11 months ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Hyundai Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Is the check engine light on when the car is running?

Just when the car is normally running, is the check engine light showing up?

The check engine light is on but it was doing this before the light came on

That's ok

Usually the problem is caused by a faulty closed canister valve.

This is mounted under the vehicle near the charcoal canister. Sometimes they fail closed. When this happens the fuel vapors cannot be pulled out of the charcoal canister. So, when you are putting gas into the car, the vapors have no place to go. So the fuel and vapors come back up the fill tube and kick the pump off.

You will want to also check the smaller line off the canister and make sure there isn't any charcoal in it. If there is then the canister will have to be replaced and the line cleaned out. This causes the same problem just a different area.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!