Mike V.
Mike V., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  I have over 25 yrs. experience on all makes and models. Factory trained for Subaru and Nissan.
2921078

2002 Hyundai Santa FE. every time I put gas in the car after

Customer Question

2002 Hyundai Santa FE. every time I put gas in the car after 1-2 dollars worth the pump stops as if the tank is full but it is not I have to manually slowly put gas in and it still stops every couple of dollars.
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: yes and starts same as usual
JA: Are you fixing your Santa Fe yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: trying to and gas line cleaner so far
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 months ago.

Is the check engine light on when the car is running?

Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 months ago.

Just when the car is normally running, is the check engine light showing up?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The check engine light is on but it was doing this before the light came on
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 months ago.

That's ok

Usually the problem is caused by a faulty closed canister valve.

This is mounted under the vehicle near the charcoal canister. Sometimes they fail closed. When this happens the fuel vapors cannot be pulled out of the charcoal canister. So, when you are putting gas into the car, the vapors have no place to go. So the fuel and vapors come back up the fill tube and kick the pump off.

You will want to also check the smaller line off the canister and make sure there isn't any charcoal in it. If there is then the canister will have to be replaced and the line cleaned out. This causes the same problem just a different area.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!