Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2013 sonata 2.0 intermittent starts and doesn't lock or

Customer Question
2013 sonata 2.0 intermittent...

2013 sonata 2.0 intermittent starts and doesn't lock or unlock doors or trunk...have to place fob in center console slot to start car....

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fob's battery?

Yes...replaced with new and same issue

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sonata yourself? What have you tried so far?

No....trying to get idea of what the problem is.....seeing a lot of switch assy -transmission comments

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, that's it

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Hyundai
7/31/2017
Hyundai Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician replied 11 months ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

Good morning,

If it was just a starting issue I would suspect the brake pedal switch, or the transmission neutral position sensor, but since you are also having trouble with the remote entry I would say the problem is most likely the transmitter in the key dying. Sometimes the transmitter portion of the key dies even when the battery is brand new.

Do you have a spare key fob you could try to see if the problem goes away (or gets better)?

no...don't have spare
no call needed...just message needed

Sorry I forgot to warn you about the phone call pop-up. That's automated. Not generated by me.

I think the only way to nail this down is to get your hands on a replacement key fob and see if the problem persists. Most automotive locksmiths can make you a new fob if you don't have a dealer nearby, or don't want to pay dealer prices. Give me a sec and I'll look up the key fob learn procedure for the 2013 sonata to see if you can get a fob off of amazon and program it yourself.

ok thanks

It looks like you can't program them without the hyundai scan tool.

I did find a couple of tech tips (repair tips written by Hyundai engineers) that said that intermittent keyless entry function and not starting can usually be solved by reprogramming the key fob.

I saw that also....can dealer re-program?

Yes. Only the dealer according to the tech tips.

I think your best bet is to run it to the dealer and have them reprogram your existing key and if possible make you a spare.

Please let me know if you need additional info.