Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Crank shaft pully is worn down in the middle. and the bolt

Customer Question

crank shaft pully is worn down in the middle. and the bolt seems a bit loose when i insert it into the crank shaft. want to figure out if it is too loose and what part i would need if so.
JA: What is the model/year of your Hyundai?
Customer: 04 hyundai tiburon. v6
JA: Are you fixing your Tiburon yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes I am. I've removed the pully and belt.
JA: Which belt is acting up? And when was it last changed?
Customer: belt is fine. the pully is the problem
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

There is supposed to be a washer behind the bolt, is there? Was the loose pulley causing some type of other problem? I'm just trying to figure out exactly what is going on and why you are messing with pulley.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks!
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Not sure if you seen my original reply so I'll copy/paste it.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the washer was there. The original problem was that that pully kept loosening up. I could only drive half a block before it would loosen up again and i would loose power steering etc. works fine once i tighten that bolt again, but the bolt won't stay tight and I notice there's grooves worn out of the center of the pully.
I just want to make sure I'm reassembling it safely.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Were you torquing bolt down before? Have you inspected threads on bolt?

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

The grooves would be worn in pulley because of bolt coming loose so that shouldn't be a problem.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
bolt looks fine. goes in and out by hand fairly easily. has a touch of give. not sure how much give it should have but nothing seems to be stripped.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

By in and out are you saying you can fully insert bolt without even tightening it? Just by pushing it in? If so, something is definitely stripped.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no i can screw it in by hand in and out.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Ok, that is fine. Also are you torquing bolt down when tightening it? If it was stripped it wouldn't torque down.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I only had a wrench so i'm sure i wasn't getting it tight enough by hand. I now have an electric impact wrench.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Even a electric impact probably won't get it tight enough. There is also a key on crank gear that fits into crank pulley, is the key still there or did it break off?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't see any damage and the parts are original as far as I know. Is the little bit of wobble normal when i put the bolt in by hand?
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUTO-7-INC-616-0041-Crank-Gear-/263104915295?fits=Model%3ATiburon&epid=83161595&hash=item3d4246675f:g:ZhsAAOSwdIFX1112&vxp=mtr

There is a picture a new crank gear, you can see the key/knob that sticks out which goes into hole on crank pulley. Is the key/knob still on gear or did it break off?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My second question is do I need to get a new pully or just electric impact the shit out of it.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
give me one second to check.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

thanks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
sorry. had a customer call. running out there but i think it looked good.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

If all looked good then I'd recommend using a torque wrench to torque bolt down to 135 ft lbs, nothing else should need to be done. You could also add some loctite to threads but that shouldn't be needed. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Keep me updated, thanks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The crank gear looked fine. There were filings but that was probably from the pully. so its ok to put the pully back on even with the groves worn out of the center?
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Yes that shouldn't make a difference.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, great. Thanks for your help. I'll rate after the test drive if thats ok. first time using this service.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Sounds good, let me know how it goes, thanks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, I have it back on there. everything sounds good. the center of the pully was pretty worn out so I had guess at what the center was. is it ok if it still wobbles a bit? It should be tight though.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

If it wobbles then I'd recommend replacing pulley and spacer, the wobbling could cause enough vibration to eventually make bolt come loose again.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, that's what I was thinking.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Happy to hear its nothing more serious like a stripped bolt or crankshaft. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help, thanks.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Ever get it figured out? Please do not forget to rate answer. Thanks