peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

Odometer has stopped working, Hyundai/veloster/2016, I tried

Customer Question

Odometer has stopped working
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: Hyundai/veloster/2016
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I tried to find fuse but it is not listed. Need to check the fuse first!
JA: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Have you located both?
Customer: Not sure what I am looking for that's the problem!
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just need to check the odometer fuse.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.I apologize for any delay.

If the speedometer is still operating but the odometer is not this can indicate an internal electrical fault with the instrument cluster/ gauge panel.The speedometer runs the odometer internally in the instrument cluster.To repair this the cluster has to be removed and repaired through an authorized repair facility or removed and replaced.Since this is a 2016 model this may be covered under factory warranty still at no charge to you.

But if the speedometer is operating properly the cluster does need repaired or replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time.A 5 star rating is appreciated.Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My analog speedometer is still not working? Where is the fuse for the speedometer located? I am not close to a Hyundai dealer and do not want to drive 160 miles unless I have no choice.

Just to be sure is it the speedometer and odometer that is not working?

Is the transmission still shifting properly?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The car is still functioning correctly and no other work is noticed on the car. Just want to make sure a fuse is not blown.

O.k.,this isnt a fuse issue.If it was then then all gauges and lights would not work in the instrument gauge cluster itself.

This is a fault internally in the cluster itself.When the cluster speedometer stepper motor fails internally this causes the speedometer to not work and the odometer to not work.If the speedometer is not working then the odometer is unable to register due to not knowing the speed of the vehicle itself.

If it was a speed sensor issue then there would be shifting issues.And since some of the gauges do work and the lights on the cluster do work this indicates an internal fault in the cluster itself.The cluster has to be removed and repaired or removed and replaced to resolve this fault here.

Check these fuses though to be sure:

A/bag IND.

IG 2

Cluster

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q9a3p2d28v02pwa/m-07-27.gif?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete