Gary
Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years
19513769

Have 2007 hyundai sonata. Can't turn my key in the ignition.

Customer Question

Have 2007 hyundai sonata. Can't turn my key in the ignition. Have done all the usual things to make it work, including having my husband try too. Any ideas?
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: I can turn the steering wheel a little. I don't think my key is damaged. How do you damage a car key?
JA: Are you fixing your Sonata yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I jiggled the steering wheel back and forth. Put my key in ignition, pushed it in, tried to turn and no luck. Husband did the same.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: We are good about getting regular maintenance on our cars. We take care of them.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.

Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

will a spare key work ?

and everything electrically is working light the head lights ect.. ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Spare key didn't work. Checking now on lights. They work. Everything on dashboard lights up.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My husband and I prefer to do this on the computer
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

at this point the odds are there is a bad tumbler inside the ignition lock cylinder

spray something like WD40 into the where the key goes and work the key in and out hard if it still will not turn with the key all the way in strike the back of the key with a hammer with some hard hits while turning the key

if it still will not turn the ignition lock cylinder must be replaced i am sorry to say

please dont forget to rate me here at Justanswer

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Gary, I appreciate your effort to help, but I am 68 years old and I am not going to start driving a car and having a can of WD 40 and a small hammer on hand to deal with this problem. I buy a car for it to work. I've never had this experience with any other car and at 68 yrs old, I have had a few. I drove this vehicle for 10 yrs w/o problems and took good care of the car. This is unacceptable as is your solution. I do not mean this in a disrespectful way. Thx, Kathy
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

unacceptable as a solution because you are unable to do what needs to be done is not unacceptable as a solution

you are punishing me for the correct answer and what needs to be done is unacceptable