George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years
13574682

I have an intermittent no start on my 2008 tucson. there are

Customer Question

i have an intermittent no start on my 2008 tucson. there are no codes or CEL. i can wait a few minutes and it will start again. it doesn't matter if the car is hot or cold.
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: which light?
JA: Are you fixing your Tucson yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: crank sensor, checked for spark and gas. they both seem to be fine when tested.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: fixing myself.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  david craig replied 3 months ago.

Hi Im David, thank you for visiting the site. next time this happens turn the key on for a few seconds then off, then on for a few seconds then off, then try to start it.

I will be back in 10 minutes, thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
tried this already a few times to prime the fuel pump and also (i've read) to reset the immobilzer. doesn't seem to make a difference.

there is also a known problem with the chip for the key

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i thought it might be the immobilizer so i tried the spare key as well with no difference. unless it's the immobilzer unit itself.

Ive seen that also tried with no success. try removing the negative battery cable where it attaches to the block, sanding down the area really good and reattaching.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
you think it's a poor chassis ground? i'd think that would affect more than just the immobilzer. everything else that's electrical works fine.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i also haven't seen the immobilzer light go on the dash either but i figured if there was an issue with the unit, it might not register...

hHyundai like to attach grounds to painted surfaces or unburnished surfaces. This has cause many many intermittent start issues

They have not come up with any solution. Many people have wasted many dollars replacing ignition switches, starters, immobilizers,etc....

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
is there anything else to check? it seems like other systems would be affected by this.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
does the bad ground affect the immobilizer or the some other part of the ignition system? once started, the car runs fine.

the ground will affect the battery, starter, ignition. I will open this up to the other techs to chime in. There is no known fix for this issue.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
are you saying if the problem is at the battery negative to chassis connection, cleaning it up and replacing the cable won't fix it?by the way, the car cranks okay every time. i figure it's fuel or spark (most likely spark unless it's really low fuel pressure, the plugs are wet).
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

4 cylinder or V6? Try to see if it runs on starting fluid and let me know, thanks.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
4 cyl. haven't tried starting fluid (haven't used that since i had a carb car). i haven't put a gauge on the fuel pressure but it's definately getting fuel in the cylinders.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

IF it runs on starting fluid it isn't getting fuel to cylinders, try that and let me know. Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it will be at least a day. it's 10pm here and i don't have any starting fluid on hand. the car is running now, it's intermittent so i'd have to wait for the next time i have the issue.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
oh, and how can i get in contact with you again in a few days?
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

You can reply the same way you are now at any time, keep me updated. Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok. i will respond when i get a chance to try that. i will need to buy some starting fluid and wait until i get a no start occurring again.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Sounds good, thanks.