Hyundai

Hyundai Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Hyundai

I submitted a question along with my CC information but

Customer Question
haven't heard any reply....
I submitted a question along with my CC information but haven't heard any reply. The estimate was 8 min but was over 30 minutes ago.
JA: What year is your MINI?
Customer: MINI??????? My question was for a 2017 santa fe sport
JA: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It is not a MINI. I asked the question about installing DRL's
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: When can I expect a reply to my question placed at 5 pm PST?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Hyundai
7/15/2017
Hyundai Mechanic: 350matt, Engineer replied 4 months ago
350matt
350matt, Engineer

Hello

If you want to install daylight running lights are these aftermarket items or do you want Hyundai original fitment?

Here was my original question: "Installing some after market DRL's (w/turn signals) on my 2017 Santa Fe Sport and would like to know where to hook-up the lead for the turn signals?" There are 3 leads. The other 2 are to pwr the DRLs (pos/neg) and the other for the turn signal.

Hello

Ok there should also be another wire to power the DRL's up once the engine is running?

as per this video as the DRL are meant to switch off once you turn on the headlamps, so a feed is taken off the sidelight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSOdbc4M-gk

for the turn signal input there should be a positive and a negative wire to the turn signal bulb, you need to splice into the postive wire, its best to use a voltmeter to be sure of which wire is which

There are only 3 wires for the combination DRL & turn signal after market fixture. One for the positive DRL, one for the positive turn signal and the 3rd for the ground. Both DRL & turn signal share the ground wire. There is no DRL modular.
I discounted the wire harness from the back of the headlight assembly and measured the voltage but found no intermittent signal to indicate the turn signal was working when the signal was turned on.
Appreciate your patience.

Hello

can you tell me the make of the DRL unit?

There doesn't seem to be a known brand name on the box that it was shipped in but it did come from China. I directly attached the wires to the battery and both DRL & turn signal LED lights did work. I hope you can help.

Hello

Ok how about using the side flasher to switch the DRL wire instead of the main turn signal ?

The side flasher does not flash and only comes on when the parking and/or headlights are turned on. The turn signal light bulb is closest to the center of the vehicle not on the outside. I pulled the turn signal bulb w/socket out and there were no wires attached. Looked like the contacts are on the outside of the socket. The grd is pretty self explanatory but is there anywhere under the hood where I can hook up the 2 positive leads (DRL-accessory on / turn signal-flasher relay or such)?

OK

I'm going to have to opt out and open this up to others

good luck

350matt
350matt
350matt, Engineer