Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The catalytic converter needs to be replaced. Do both need…

The catalytic converter needs...

The catalytic converter needs to be replaced. Do both need to be replaced at the same time

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Hyundai. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

I would -like an estimate on the cost.

Answered in 1 minute by:
7/1/2017
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Hyundai Tech -

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today.

May I have the year, model and engine size of your vehicle?

2012 Hyundia Elantra gls 1.8

Great! Thank-you! And are you replacing the Converter because of a Check Engine Light?

I am.

Ok. Great. Please give me one moment to type out some info for you. Sit tight one minute... I'll be right back!

Thanks for holding!

OK- When replacing a Converter, there is no need to replace both at the same time. The converter to replace will be stated by the "p-codes" that are stored in the on-board computer and read with the use of a scan-tool. Depending on that p-code... the front converter is part of the exhaust manifold and sells for around $1185. The Labor Time Guide calls for 2.2 hours to complete the job. The "under-floor" converter sells for around $544 and the Labor Time Guide calls for a little over a half-hour to replace. Labor rates vary from shop to shop, so what you pay for labor will effect the bot***** *****ne. For a job of this type, a "fair" labor rate can be anywhere from $85-$125 per hour. With that said... the more common fail converter here is the front one in the exhaust manifold. Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page or click 'Accept'. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Were there any other questions I could help you with today?

Thank you, you have been most useful.

You're welcome! Glad I could be of some help today! Please remember to leave a rating for our Q&A using the stars at the top of the page! Have a great weekend!

Thank you, ***** ***** enjoy the holiday.

Thank-you! Please remember to leave your rating using the stars!

Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Hyundai Tech -