Greg
Greg, import technician
Experience:  27 year and 16 year as shop owner, import technician
29331485

Timing chain on the right side of my 2008 Veracruz slipped

Customer Question

Hey. Timing chain on the right side of my 2008 Veracruz slipped (bad tensioner which I replaced) causing the valves on the right side to bend... SO, basically my question is, after replacing the valves, and getting the camshafts (Right side) back in, are the timing marks suppose to be identical on the right side as they are on the left when the crankshaft is TDC? Compression is good on the left side and nothing over there slipped so I am assuming the timing on the left is good! Can I use that good left side to get the right back on track? I will be measuring valve clearance as well before all is said and done...
JA: How many miles on the car? How responsive has your car been lately?
Customer: lol... only a tad over 100,000 km and the car basically was running rough then stopped all together... header is off now and valve were bent beyond belief. Cylinder heads are amazingly ok though!
JA: Are you fixing your Veracruz yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yup! Its paid for and the dealer wanted over 6000 to do it so I had nothing to lose! engine is out, valve head is off (left side only) and valves come tomorrow so... that's where I'm at...
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope... just really need to know if those timing marks on the right can be used as a reference point when putting the camshafts back in on the left...
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Greg replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Greg (Indy-Tech).
Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.
Rgds Greg.

Expert:  Greg replied 2 months ago.

First get a complete timing kit and replace all parts ,you don't want to do just the tensioner .

attached is a diagram of the timing marks on the chain and head and block.

On the chain system when you have the timing correctly set up, it will not realign back up with chain marks to block and head marks .

If you need further assistance with this issue then please get back to me with the reply box below .
This is not a one answer and done i/we will stay with you until the problem is sorted out .
Before rating poor or bad please get back to me as i'm here to help you and if i can't i will opt out so another expert can , we want you to be happy and have your problem sorted out and be a happy motorist .
After rating there is no further cost for any other question relating to this problem
Kind regards Greg..