George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years
13574682

Fuel pump was changed but now car not starting, Pump was

Customer Question

Fuel pump was changed but now car not starting
JA: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?
Customer: Pump was replaced in Jan. Replacement was defective so replaced next day. Past week or so car was hesitant to start. Mechanic said it was fuel pump. Neighbor changed fuel pump last night but now car won't start. We looked for a reset button but could not find one.
JA: What is the model/year of your Hyundai?
Customer: 2006 Sonata. Engine is 2.4
JA: Are you fixing your Sonata yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Neighbor is trying to. We tried everything we could think of.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Neighbor told me to try to find a place to buy fuel filter since this was not replaced. But I'm still concerned why the car won't start. When key is turned it sounds like car wants to start but doesn't completely start. Battery is brand new. Just had oil changed. Car has 195,000+ miles. I am original owner.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Barry Sergeant replied 5 months ago.

Hi, this is Barry and I would be happy to help. Have you tested the fuel pressure at the engine?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Can't find the place to test it

It requires a special tool that connects between the fuel rail and the fuel line that the pressure gauge connects to. It should have approximately 50-51.5 psi of pressure. It is likely that the fuel filter or line is clogged causing your issue. The fuel filter is in the tank with the fuel pump. It is available at Advance Auto Parts for $57.78 and is part #E1000229383OES.