Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The car wont start, P0335 code, no i have cleaned them

The car wont start...

The car wont start, P0335 code

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

No i have cleaned them recently actually

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Hyundai?

2003 hyundai elantra gls

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Elantra yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have tested the wires at the crankshaft position sensor its a three wire connector, the connection on the right has battery voltage, the connector on the left is connected ground the signal sensor in the middle is reading five volts, however i've read on hyundai service tech that it should read zero volts i've tried replacing the crank sensor and engine computer, both didnt work

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thats all

4/27/2017
Mike V.
Mike V., Hyundai Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and respond with the assistance you need!

You are correct, the signal wire shouldn't be reading any voltage unless the engine is being cranked. This means there is a short to power on the signal wire. Sadly, you are going to have to follow the wire from the sensor to the computer and find where it's touching a wire with power. There is no easy way to do this.
Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please be kind and remember to rate my answer using the stars at the top of the page. Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have tested with an ohmmeter the connection between the signal wire and the ground wire, and also the signal wire and the power wire, both are reading around 3.5-4 kohms. From what I understand these should be zero. When I unplug the engine computer, the resistance climbs to infinity, so I thought the the computer was to blame. I purchased a new computer, however the same thing is still happening. I also did the same test at the camshaft position sensor and I am see the same thing, 5v at the signal wire with the sensor disconnected. What do you think?

I think it's got to be touching a wire to get 5 volts. Wish we could disconnect it alone from the computer and then check and see if there is voltage on it. What I mean is the computer has to be plugged in for anything to get any voltage. I would think it was the computer as well, but since there is voltage on the wire with the new computer, it's got to have a short to power someplace. As for the cam sensor, that's got to be an issue too I believe. Let me take a look at the diagnostics for the cam sensor and get back to you.

Cam sensor shouldn't have any voltage on the signal wire either. Give me a moment to try and pull up the wiring diagram and see if I can maybe find something that could be causing this.

Sorry to say, the wiring diagram isn't any help.

Mike V.
Mike V., Hyundai Technician