Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Have a 2009 Hyundai Accent that broke the timing belt. Had a…

Have a 2009 Hyundai...

Have a 2009 Hyundai Accent that broke the timing belt. Had a garage replace belt and engine ran perfect for a few miles then started missing. computer reading said 3 and 1 are miss firing.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the timing belt? Have you ever had to change it before?

Never been changed that I know of and it has 120,000 miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Accent yourself? What have you tried so far?

Local garage replaced timing belt. started up fine for a few miles then started missing. They took it apart again and saw that the timing had jumped. they realigned it and it ran fine again for only a few miles

3/3/2017
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Did they replaced the timing belt tensioner?

did it jump again?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
After they replaced the belt tensioner, they didn't recheck the timing. I didn't trust them since they had had it for over a week.

HI,

Ok, there are 3 possible causes for the belt to jump twice.

Tensioner is defective out of the box or installed incorrectly

Worn cam or crankshaft sprocket teeth

Time belt put on backwards. Some techs dont realize that the timing belt should go on where the stamped lettering on the belt is facing so you can read it when looking at it from the front.

All 3 of these need to be checked to see which is the cause. Most likely the new tensioner is defective or installed incorrectly

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager