sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a 2012 hybrid sonata and my moonroof closes half way,

Customer Question

I have a 2012 hybrid sonata and my moonroof closes half way, ticks, and automatically goes back to the open position. I can't get it closed.
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: Started last night. The noise is coming from a midway point on the drivers side on the moonroof.
JA: Are you fixing your Sonata yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just started looking at it today. Been trying to close it over and over, looking for obstructions. I've found none.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It sounds as if the sunroof is reversing due to obstacle detection. It watches currently load of the motor and when it goes too high then the motor will reverse. If there is nothing blocking movement then a motor or guide issue is likely.

If you press and continue to hold the button rather than allowing it to go automatically will it close fully?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No it won't close fully even if I keep pressing the button.

If you continue to hold the button does it just stop part way or does it still reverse?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It automatically reverses. I hear a tick and if I quickly move the button back it will stay about halfway closed, but if try to move it forward anymore, it retracts.

Can you open it fully, disconnect and reconnect the battery, then press and continue to hold the switch to see if it will close?