Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

Engine was running, turned key off and removed the key and

Customer Question

engine was running, turned key off and removed the key and the engine did not turn off
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: yes wheel turns, key is good put key back in and it turns freely, no clicks was able to turn it to the ON position and drive car
JA: What is the model/year of your Hyundai?
Customer: 2003 Santa Fe
JA: Are you fixing your Santa Fe yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: removed the fule pump fuse and car turned off but dash lights still on so ignition is 'stuck on' removed battery cable to 'turn it off''
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your input to my questions so I can help you better. I read your notes what is happening and what you did so far. This may be one of two things either the main relay is sticking or the ignition switch is shorting out. You can pinpiont this by disconnecting one at a time.If you hook the battery back up and remove the key then remove one item at a time to see if that correects it. then replace that item .

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Remove a part to see if it corrects it? How will my car start with one of these parts removed?