Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2000 Hyundai Accent GS that runs fine but will not…

Customer Question
I have a 2000 Hyundai...
I have a 2000 Hyundai Accent GS that runs fine but will not pass California smog. I have trouble-shooted the electrical for the DMTL module but the error codes reappear after being erased when I turn off the engine and then turn it on again. The codes are P1402 and P1403. It also shows 4 volts as the supply voltage for the DMTL which is mounted on the charcoal canister. Everybody says it's supposed to have 12 volts to supply the DMTL (diagnostic module Tank leakage ). Does the ECM supply the power to run the DMTL? When I run 12 volts to the DMTL to power this circuit the check engine light stays on. I'm starting to think I need another ECM because the circuit is unresponsive. What do you think?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Hyundai
11/19/2016
Hyundai Mechanic: George H., Hyundai Technician replied 1 year ago
George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician

Hello I will help,

The 12 volts to the DTML comes from the ECM1 fuse in the underhood fuse block. I would check the fuse to be sure you have 12 volts there then the EM02 connector to be sure there is no corrosion.

If you only have 4 volts the ECM cannot control the module and run the tests.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The connector is clean. I agree with you that it can't control the DMTL with 4 volts. The fuses for the ECU under hood were good. 12 volts on both sides. That's why I ran my own 12 volt supply wire from the battery back to the unit to see if would make a difference. Did I miss something here?

If you have 12 volts at the fuse I would overlay a wire from the fuse output of the block back to the DTML as you did.

Did the codes clear once you ran the wire and gave the unit full battery voltage?

It taks several drive cycles under the correct conditions for the computer to run the tests and set the monitors to complete.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay sir. I will try running a wire and drive the car. Will let you know what happens with the system. Since it will take several drive cycles to clear the computer it is going to take some time to accomplish. I will be in touch.

I thought you had run a wire to deliver 12 volts to the DMTL?

Let me know what happens

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello, I have 12 volts back at the DMTL now and have driven the car through several drive cycles to give the ECM a chance to clear itself out and the check engine light to go off with no luck. All I can think of is that the same 12 volts passing through the EM02 connector may carry the two return wires from the DMTL. Do you know were the EM02 connector is located? If both return wires ( one for the pump motor and one for the solenoid ) are corroded at the same connector I won't have any action from the DMTL and the ECM. The check engine light will stay on. What do you think?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Again, the same codes are coming back up.

It could be that the connector is the problem, it is in the left front corner of the passenger compartment

Click here

Check it out and see what you can find

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay, let me check it out and I'll tell you what I found out.

Great, let me know what you find

Thanks