Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

I parked my 2009 mSonata 2 nights ago att my home. Yesterday

Customer Question

I parked my 2009 mSonata 2 nights ago att my home. Yesterday when I attempted to drive to work, there was mo0 power, the car was totally dead. The blinking light wasn't even working. The remote wouldn't open the doors and the key in door wouldn't even work. I had no notice about my engine or anything. What could cause that?
JA: Just to clarify, can you tell me which light it is? And does it blink first, then stay on steady?
Customer: I guess it's the light that when I turn off the car that light always comes on and blinks.
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: 2009 Sonata Limited
JA: Are you fixing your Sonata Limited yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I though it might be the remote, so I bought a new battery and installed it. It still didn't work.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I had no warning. Last month I had my tire fixed because it was leaking. After they put the tire back on, I turned the car off and it woulkdn't start again. The steering wheel locked but the blinking light was still on. I thought it might be the battery, so I was given aboost and went directly to Advanced Auto and purchased a new battery. The mechanic 5old me his electrician did something electrical to release the steering wheel. The car started and I had no problem until I tried to drive it yesterday.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. I value your input to my questions so I may help you better. Two things come to mind in your situation. has this vehicle got a aftermarket or factory anti theft system on it?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
factory anti-theft

Ok thanx for that info I read your notes above and just want to clarify something, the battery is new in the vehicle now right?

This problem only happens after sitting?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Ok thanx again for that input. What I feel is happening is it may have a parasitic draw . What that means is when the vehicle is shut off something remains on drawing the energy from the battery, an allowable parasitic draw should not exceed 50M/A Make sure nothing has been left on and do this test.I will give you a link describing what is happening and how to do the test.If it is higher then the acceptable draw then you need to eliminate circuits by pulling fuses out one by one to find which circuit is the culprit doing the draw. Hope this helps you and if you require further help let me know. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF1gijj03_0

Just checking in to see if you need further help . If your happy so far could you please rate my help.