Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

Are you live? Do you know how to get under the hood if the

Customer Question

Are you live?
JA: No. I'm the Hyundai mechanic's Assistant.
Customer: Do you know how to get under the hood if the latch is broken?
JA: Do you hear a thunk when you pull the lever?
Customer: No thunk at all
JA: What is the model/year of your Hyundai?
Customer: 2006 sonata
JA: Are you fixing your Sonata yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm trying to fix it myself and so far I've tried to get to the latch under the hood by going through the grill above the "H" emblem and also by removing the skirting just below the radiator to see if I could activate the latch Along with pulling the cable with pliers
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That I really appreciate that there IS a mechanic to talk to :)
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer .I value your input to my questions so I may help you better. So when you pull the hood release does it feel loose like posably broken?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No it doesn't budge at all nor does it pull back like it is attached to a spring (it usually pulls back when you release the lever in the cab of the car).
The best description of how it feels when pulled is a dull almost spongy resistance.

Thanx for that info, sounds like it might be jammed.before we go further try this. Have someone pull the lever while you press down on the hood and try to release it that way. let me know what happens, spray some WD-40 through the grill at the latch as well.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yeah, I had tried that "CPR" style of opening while I was waiting to hear from just answer. I was googling it and saw that as a suggested remedy. Unfortunately, it didn't work for me. It didn't even wiggle. The other suggestion was to remove the bumper and grille but I can't get to either with the hood down.

LOL I like that CPR style. Any way the only other option and the one we do in the shop is to raise the front of the vehicle up safetly so you can remove the plastic under cover .By doing so it will allow you access enough to use a hook and or long screw driver to trigger the latch. also you may be able to see the cable end to pull on that part.After you get it open you may want to replace the cable and I can tell you a secret how to do that as well. Let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm assuming you're talking about the dust cover underneath the radiator. I just finished taking the four screws out to try to catch this thing from underneath. I see the bottom of the latch mechanism and can feel a cable which I assume has to be mine. However, when I pull the cable, it still doesn't activate the primary latch release. Is that my best way tho? I could pull this cable harder. I just didn't want it to break and then have all lost.

Unfortuneatly that's the last resort, if the cable does break they are not hard to replace ,I can give you a tip how to do that if need be.Can you get a long scewdriver up in there to try and jimmy the lever? the other thing is if you can get to the bolts that hold the latch in place you may be able to remove them allowing you to open it that way.