david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  owner/mechanic at 3D Automotive
4993992

I have a 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe with a v6 engine. I have a

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe with a v6 engine. I have a code P2100.
Symptoms are: with car in park and engine revved the engine sputters at higher rpm. Engine wants to cut out when driving. The code breaks problem out to a few things but I need to narrow it down logically.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 11 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay.

hey how are you

i sent you the most possible causes ,please open up the kink i sent you

most possible causes

1-poor connection

2- open in ETS in relay circuit

3- faulty ETS fuse

4- faulty pcm

DTC P2100 THROTTLE ACTUATOR CONTROL MOTOR CIRCUIT RANGE/PERFORMANCE / THROTTLE ACTUATOR CONTROL MOTOR CIRCUIT OPEN

COMPONENT LOCATION GENERAL DESCRIPTION The ETS is the throttle body whose throttle angle is controlled by Engine Control Module. The ETSCM(Electronic Throttle System Control Module) is integrated with PCM(Powertrain Control Module). Therefore, Make sure that location of ETS Module is changed. It consists of ETS-motor, Accelerator Position Sensor(AS),Throttle Position Sensor(TPS) and Limp home valve. The PCM decides throttle valve target opening value after calculating from signals such as AS and other input values, controls ETS motor to meet PCM's throttle valve target opening value. ETS motor's rotor rotates 7800 from the the closed throttle valve to the wide open throttle valve and ETS motor controls the opening angle of throttle valve with 26 patterns; motor's rotor rotates 300 per one pattern. DTC DESCRIPTION DTC P2100 is set if there is an open circuit in power line of ETS motor.

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

you can check the resistance on ets motor : 2.5 ohms with voltmeter to see if it is bad

Chad

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Where is its location do you have a schematic or illustrated parts breaksown

THROTTLE POSITION (TP) SENSOR

\The TPS is a variable resistor type that rotates with the throttle shaft to sense the throttle valve angle. As the throttle shaft rotates, the output voltage of the TPS changes. The PCM detects the throttle valve opening based on this voltage change.

Zoom and Print Options

CIRCUIT DIAGRAM HARNESS INSPECTION PROCEDURES Refer to "P0122, P0123, P0222, P0223" DTC inspection procedures. TROUBLESHOOTING HINTS The TPS signal is important in the control of the automatic transaxle. Shift shock and other trouble will occur if the sensor is faulty.

USING HI-SCAN-PRO

USING VOLTMETER

1. Disconnect the throttle position sensor connector
2. Measure resistance between terminal 3 (sensor ground) and terminal 1 (sensor power).

Standard value : 3.5 - 6.5 k Ohm

3. Connect a pointer type ohmmeter between terminal 3 (sensor ground) and terminal 2 (sensor output).

4. Operate the throttle valve slowly from the idle position to the full open position and check that the resistance changes smoothly in proportion with the throttle valve opening angle.

Zoom and Print Options

5. If the resistance is out of specification, or fails to change smoothly, replace the throttle position sensor. Tightening torque TP Sensor: 1.5-2.5 Nm (15-25 kg.cm, 1.1-1.8 lb.ft)

1. Connect a HI-SCAN (PRO) to the data link connector. NOTE:: Before inspecting the TPS, verity the basic idle speed is as specified.

2. If a HI-SCAN (PRO) is not used, connect original type voltmeter between ground and IPS output terminal. 3. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position(do not start engine) and check that TPS output voltage is as specified. If a HI-SCAN (PRO) is used, read the IPS voltage. Standard value (ETS vehicle): 300 - 900mV 4. If it is out of specification, loosen TPS mounting screws and adjust by turning the TPS 5. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.

Please let me know if you need anything else on it

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I just take old tsp off and put new one back on. I don't have a voltmeter so how do I know if it is in correct rotational range

you can mark the screws with a paint marker , but the throttle will in closed position ,just don't move it and it should be simple to take the old one & replace with new and match the marks you made on the housing of it .

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay just waiting on new part to arrive in 3 hrs

ok sounds good .

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue

A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Hope it worked out for you with the new part

Please dont forget to rate me since that is how we get compensated :)

Thank You

Chad

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Nope wasted $189.00
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Car idles at 2000 rpm and doesn't drop after attaining normal temp. When accelerator put to the floor (in park) the engine is extremely sluggish

oh no , i m sorry most of the time it is TPS

let me opt out of the question and open it to other expert for you, they might have ran into this problem and will help you

Just don't reply back to me because if you do it will lock the question back to me , just wait and somebody will pick up the question

I m sorry again

Chad

Expert:  david craig replied 11 months ago.

Hi Im David, allow me a moment to gather the information that will help fix the issue. thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No thanks

• Connections, Open in ETS Relay Circuit, ETS Relay/ Fuse, PCM........its going to be an open wire. we just need to find it. i will pull up a print and if you have a multi meter we can start tracking it down. thank you for your patience.

you dont want the vehicle fixed? fine.