George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years
13574682

My daughter, who lives in city, keeps a 2002 elantra in my

Customer Question

My daughter, who lives in city, keeps a 2002 elantra in my driveway. Can't get it out of park. Is there an override on that hyundai?
JA: Do you have brake lights? Have any trouble codes popped up?
Customer: I have to look at brake lights....as soon as I find someone to stand behind the car. Is there an override on this model?
JA: Are you fixing your Elantra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing. Just was trying to move it. Can't get the shift to move out of park. I was able to to move it once, by moving shift before dash lit up. But, that only worked once. I keep reading about override buttons and I'm trying to find out if this car has one.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  George H. replied 12 months ago.

Hello I will help,

The shift interlock is at the base of the shift lever. If there is not a round hole plug to the right of the shifter that you can remove to push down with a pencil then the trim around the shifter has to be pulled up or the console raised to to get to the interlock so you can operate it manually.

For the interlock to work you step on the brake pedal to turn on the brake lights then push the release button on the shifter, any pressure on the release button will prevent the interlock from moving

Let me know if you need to lift the console and if the brake lights work

Thanks