Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  30 year ASE Master tech
2947720

Have 1994 Hyundai Excel, and jJust had the starter replaced.

Have 1994 Hyundai Excel , and jJust had the starter replaced. But sometimes the key gets stuck in the ignition and I have to get out of the car to disconnect the positive battery cable, then the key easily comes out. Someone suggested that shift switch clinoid needs to be replaced or do you think it may be a fuse that needs replacement?
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: yes I an turn the wheel. I had the key replaced as well.
JA: Are you fixing your Excel yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Was told by a lock smith the ignition was not the problem. Another mechanic suggested the ground wire needs to be replaced but not sure where this is.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that it so far. thanks.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I am reviewing your question and will reply shortly, thanks.

We, (the experts) are only paid by your positive ratings.

It's not a ground problem, or a fuse. The keylock solenoid is most likely sticking. When there is no power, (battery disconnected) it will release. It works when it has power and the vehicle is not in park or the controller thinks that it's not in park.

Of course it could be in the trans range position sensor, which can also be checked, thanks