Hyundai

Hyundai Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Hyundai

Died on me while accelerating while getting on interstate

Customer Question
and didnt start afterwards. i...
died on me while accelerating while getting on interstate and didnt start afterwards. i replaced fuel pump then the starter and still no start. i haf it towed to firestone and they told me that the engine locked up. they didnt find where or why it locked up cuz it had oil. so now im trying to figure out what or if it is even locked up. do u have any suggestions?
JA: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?
Customer: yes i replaced fuel pump. but still no start
JA: What is the model/year of your Hyundai?
Customer: 2004 Santa fe
JA: Are you fixing your Santa Fe yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: now i am trying to. i replaced fuel pump then replaced starter and got new battery.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: i also taken out mass airflow sensor and cleaned it but have not yet put back in and tried starting it. Also i hooked up a code reader and gave me p0101 which is mass airflow sensor.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Hyundai
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
can i unlock motor myself or even see if it is even locked up?
10/5/2016
Hyundai Mechanic: Mike V., Hyundai Technician replied 1 year ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Hyundai Technician

Hello and thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question today.

Just to be clear, the engine doesn't crank?

So it's a no crank no start situation?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
correct, before i changed fuel pump it was cranking but it did not want to start like it wasn't getting any fuel so I changed fuel pump try to start it and it was just clicking noise so I replace starter and same thing it's so hard clicking noise

Ok,

It actually sounds like the timing belt broke to be honest. See if you can rotate the engine by using the crank bolt on the crank sprocket and a ratchet. You may be able to rotate the engine slightly one way or the other.

The other option here is to pull the timing cover and look at the belt. It seems like the belt may have originally jumped time, and then trying to start it finished it off. Because it's an interference engine, it won't crank because the pistons are hitting the valves.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Do you need further assistance with this?

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Hyundai Technician