Hyundai

Hyundai Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Hyundai

I have a 2003 Hyundai sante fe. I had to change the starter.

Customer Question
I have a 2003 Hyundai...
I have a 2003 Hyundai sante fe. I had to change the starter. Someone tried to steal the car by insenting a screwdriver in the ignition switch and damaged it. I have replaved the ignition switch and module and now it will not start .. Some of the lights will come on but not all.
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: the dash panel lights
JA: Are you fixing your Santa Fe yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have put on a new starter. new battery new cylinder lock on idnition where the key goes in
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Hyundai
9/22/2016
Hyundai Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 1 year ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Ok, did you have the new ignition lock cylinder coded to your original key, or did you install a new cylinder that had its own key?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have replaced the starter, battery, and lock cylinder where the key goes in. The cylinder had a new key

hi,

Ok, does yours have factory immobilizer/antitheft system?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
R u there

sorry, computer froze up.

Ok, I am 90% sure that the key will need to be programmed to the immobilizer control module, but I am going to open this back up to other experts so if one has differing information, they can provide it for you

Hyundai Mechanic: adamfeather, Technician replied 1 year ago
adamfeather
adamfeather, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to assist you! I have an associates degree in automotive technology, ASE certified with 15 years in the field. Sorry to hear your having problems with your new key. Let me gather some information to help. I'll send it as I find it in the next few minutes.

Ok. Like most 2000 and up model year vehicles yours does have a "chip" or transponder I. The key that requires programming. Generally it is done by the dealer or a shop with capable programming equipment. Here is the document to give you an idea of what is involved.

I just wanted to follow up to ask if you're satisfied with your experience and whether I adequately answered your question? If not I will be glad to provide further information.

If you feel I adequately answered your question please accept the answer and rate my services if you wish. Because I am a private expert for Just Answer I only get paid for accepted answered.

Thanks again and I hope I was helpful!

Adam

adamfeather
adamfeather
adamfeather, Technician