Hyundai

Hyundai Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Hyundai

Low voltage on pin 7 of DLC, K-Line unable to communicate

Customer Question
with scan tool and pass...
Low voltage on pin 7 of DLC, K-Line unable to communicate with scan tool and pass smog in CA
JA: What is the model/year of your Hyundai?
Customer: 2000 Elantra
JA: Are you fixing your Elantra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Checked voltage on all DLC Pins
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Vehicle has theft prevention key thing (immobilizer?) Might be preventing DLC communication
JA: Is the key stripped or worn?
Customer: No, but I have no problems with the key, just the OBD II scan tool
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Hyundai
9/3/2016
Hyundai Mechanic: Cary York,
 replied 1 year ago
Cary York

Hi, I’m Cary and I’ll be helping you today.
Please understand that I can't smell, hear, or touch the vehicle, so patience is appreciated. Before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as needed, even after the rating..

Have you checked fuses? I will look at a wiring diagram. Be right back.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yeah, checked fuses. And I have some votlage on pin 7, 6.5-6.8v but it's supposed to be around 10-11v. I'd like to wire pin 7 straight to the ECU and bypass everything but I can't figure out what color wire to tap into
Hyundai Mechanic: Cary York,
 replied 1 year ago

Here are the 2 diagrams for the data connector.

Hyundai Mechanic: Cary York,
 replied 1 year ago

Do not see a wire going into pin 7. Let me look at the connector pinout.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yeah I saw these and was confused too. I've got a black/blue white out of pin 7 and I'm assuming going somewhere before getting to the ECU
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
wire*
Hyundai Mechanic: Cary York,
 replied 1 year ago

I found this link. Still looking. Is the scanner you are using self powered or powered from the data connector?

http://pinoutsguide.com/CarElectronics/hyundai_obd_2_pinout.shtml

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Powered from the data connector, but it fails at the smog stations too using any scanner, (tried 4 diff shops) Something is keeping the K-Line from communicating with the ECU
Hyundai Mechanic: Cary York,
 replied 1 year ago

Here is a diagram of the ECM and data connector wiring.

Hyundai Mechanic: Cary York,
 replied 1 year ago

When you plug the scanner up does it power up?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
they all do. I've got 12 volts at pin 16 to power it.
Hyundai Mechanic: Cary York,
 replied 1 year ago

Good.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yeah, positive. Mine has little numbers under it to tell you which pin is which, too.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But mine is black and blue coming out of pin 7
Hyundai Mechanic: Cary York,
 replied 1 year ago

I will opt out so another expert can help that has a better source of factory wiring diagrams.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you, that's kind of you. I will give you a good review.
Hyundai Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 1 year ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David. first of all the voltage on k line should be 3.5vdc. that the first issue.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Oh, everywhere else I read said 10v on Pin 7.. I have 6.5 on pin 7 and 3.5 on pin 15.. What would cause that?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also does Pin 2 do anything? I think that pin is empty on mine

sorry but i had to get some sleep last night.......... ill send you some info on the dlc

7 of the diagnostic connector with the ignition and radio turned ON. If it's under 9V, your K-line is fine. If it's over 9V, the results are inconclusive. pin 7(k line) interfaces with the abs,tcm,sas modules. with key off voltage must 3.5. if any different then the interfacing modules should be disconnected one at a time until the deisired voltage is obtained. this way you will be able to tell what module is causing the problem. note, that these results depend on the protocol that is being used on a particular vehicle make. variances in readings and pin outs depend on the protocol.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have 6.5v at the K-Line with the key on engine off. I have 0 volts anywhere but pin 16 when the key is off. Are you saying Pin 7 with key off is supposed to have 3.5v? Please confirm.
My readings are with Key ON: 6.5v pin 7, 3.9v pin 15, 12v Pin 16, with pins 4 and 5 being a ground. I do notice a high reading on pin 1 when I switch to measure Ohms, but I don't think 1 is even used.
The problem is when we go to smog it anywhere here in California, they're saying they cannot communicate with the Computer which is a requirement here, and I can't communicate with any scan tool either.

with key off pin7 should read 3.5 with key on it should read somewhere around 7 volts. Do this, turn the key to the on position ...does the check engine light come on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yeah I've got nothing with key off but I figured that was normal since no data transfer with the key off. With key in on position I do have a check engine light on.

its definitely a problem with no voltage with the key off on pin 7.

you need to start disconnecting things the are on the k line. ie abs module, steering angle sensor and transmission control module. something is holding the voltage down

just checking in to see how its going

George H.
George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician